• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me integrated amplifier

Hello to all. This is my first post on this forum.
I'm currently looking to upgrade my Pathos Classic One MK3 integrated amplifier having in mind the budget shouldn't exceed 6K USD. The Pathos is currently driving a pair of Sonus Faber Sonettos II bookshelf speakers with a potential future upgrade to Olympicas. The pathos is very nice musical amplifier but i think it lacks in few departments. When compared to the Pathos, my new amplifier should have:
  • Better S/N ratio, therefore should be quieter
  • Blacker background
  • Better Decay
  • Better Timbre Accuracy
  • Better Dynamics
However the new amplifier should also keep few aspects where the pathos excels, and that is
  • Easy to Listen
  • Organic sound
  • Musicality
  • Inviting
  • Airy
  • Soundstage depth
  • Good LF and HF extension
I listen at very low volume levels (65-75 dB) SPL so It doesn't have to have tons of power in reserve. Some of the brands I've been considering are: McIntosh, Ayre, Simaudio, Copland, Accuphase, Anthem ..etc

Any helps is appreciated!
Thanks

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
...I don't have a recommendation for you. How much power do you want?

The important specs characteristics are power and noise. Frequency response and distortion are rarely an issue unless you overdrive the amp into distortion. See Audiophoolery.

Noise specs (and S/N) can be tricky because there is more than one way to measure it. For what you're saying, I guess your current amp has excess noise? Note that hum can be caused by a ground loop and a better/different amplifier may not help. Hiss is from the electronics (if not from the source.)

• Blacker background
I assume that also means lower noise?

• Better Decay
  • Better Timbre Accuracy
  • Better Dynamics
However the new amplifier should also keep few aspects where the pathos excels, and that is
  • Easy to Listen
  • Organic sound
  • Musicality
  • Inviting
  • Airy
  • Soundstage depth
None of those are amplifier specs, except maybe "airy" means boosted high frequencies? That's your EQ or treble control, or maybe different speakers...

• Good LF and HF extension
Any decent amp will have flat frequency response across the audio range (assuming no EQ or filtering).

P.S.
Of course with an integrated amp, features, controls, number of inputs, etc., are also important.

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
E
Thank you for your replay.
For what you're saying, I guess your current amp has excess noise?
Not really, if i don't t play music i can bearley hear any noise from the amp except if i stand from the driver at 1cm distance from my ear. I was talking regarding the noise from the music (production) when for example listening to solo piano

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello to all. This is my first post on this forum.
I'm currently looking to upgrade my Pathos Classic One MK3 integrated amplifier for under 6k .
Try Yamaha WXA-50 - it was measured here.
Try SMSL AO200 - wasn't measured, but similar products were.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
To get there where you want it's much better idea to invest in some really great speakers which can clean 16 bit without distortion (not much of those, couple of Revels so far mesured hire as much as I can remember). Regarding amplifier take a look at performance chart (SINAD) at 5W into 8 Ohm's (so that you can enjoy all of that what you wish while listening to it on lower volume levels).
Benchmark AHB2 is great if you can afford it but on it own it doesn't mean anything, even paird with great speakers it's still a overkill. On the other hand you have cheap old school AB class Yamahas such as R-N803 (preferably rather choose a little older one with same output amplifier stage and Burr Brown DAC as they first implementation with Sabre 24 family aren't all that great) which will do the yob rather good and stay dead silent (as it's AB class so no hiss/clip from twitter and ability to push more and longer when the need be).

I have no knowledge of devices in that price range... but just using the review search tool its easy to see the best reviewed amp here is the:

I know it is not integrated, but it seems like finding a good pre is way easier than finding a good amp:

or:

both are basically "transparent." Especially the Pre90, it basically matches the benchmark in relevant performance metrics.

Last edited:

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Admission- I own this:

Cambridge EVO 75

I am using KEF R3’s with SVS 3000 Micro sub; am extremely pleased.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom