• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend me a replacement DAC

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I’m looking to replace my (original series) Topping D90 DAC. The reason for the replacement is merely a functional one. I’m perfectly happy with the way the DAC sounds and I would expect any state-of-the-art DAC to sound the same.

I’m wanting a replacement because the D90’s remote control has annoyed me one too many times. Combined with the hard to read (from a distance) volume display, the finicky remote just ruins every other listening session for me. Hence, I’m looking for a DAC that:

• has a remote control that can be pointed anywhere in the room and still works, you know, like your good old TV remote
  • has a display that can easily be read from about 2.5m (8ft?) distance
  • has XLR balanced and RCA single-ended outputs (simultaneously)
  • can ingest digital audio at 786kHz PCM and DSD256 via USB
  • has a built-in mains power supply (no power dongles or wall warts)
  • isn’t licensed for MQA
Ideally, the new DAC could be had for the resale value of the D90, but that’s optional :cool:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
SMSL SU-9n might be a candidate:

OP
theREALdotnet

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I guess the classical recommendation would be the RME ADI-2 FS

Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t think it quite fits the bill, though. No built-in mains power supply, tiny volume read-out (not sure about that, I’ve only seen Internet pics of that mouse cinema). Plus, it’s about twice as expensive as the D90 was.

OP
theREALdotnet

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
SMSL SU-9n might be a candidate:

It sure looks like a candidate, thanks! This sounds promising:

1663854118040.png

Can anyone confirm the remote control performance?

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
I’m wanting a replacement because the D90’s remote control has annoyed me one too many times. Combined with the hard to read (from a distance) volume display, the finicky remote just ruins every other listening session for me. Hence, I’m looking for a DAC that:

• isn’t licensed for MQA
I like your above condition regarding MQA.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the recommendation. I don’t think it quite fits the bill, though. No built-in mains power supply, tiny volume read-out (not sure about that, I’ve only seen Internet pics of that mouse cinema). Plus, it’s about twice as expensive as the D90 was.
Ah yes, not build-in PSU. it should not be twice as expensive though... Only a little more. The display goes to full volume display as soon as you change the volume:
1663854515905.png

There is another mode that also shows volume prominently:
1663854616344.png

It also has some other nice features, so may still be worth a look.

It sure looks like a candidate, thanks! This sounds promising:

View attachment 232516
I don't think it has a bigger display than the RME though. Should be about the same. If the D90 screen is too small, these will probably also be the same.

bruceathome

The remote works for me about 40 degrees off axis, from about 2m away. Not as good as a Harmony remote, but more than usable for me. I moved to about 3m away, and it worked within about 30 degrees off axis.

Ported

I had both su9 and adi-2 to compare a year or so ago.. on default everything I was able to pick out each one every time sound signature wise (much to my wife's dismay financially! .. she set up the blind tests..)
On particular tracks I had recorded myself (+ others that had male voices with high harmonic content). To my ears the su9 had more density , detail (call it what you will ) in the upper mids so these voices sounded slightly unreal. The spread of detail on the adi-2 was much more even so more natural sounding according to my ears.
Psu on adi-2 is very small.
If you can trial both that's a good way forward.

OP
theREALdotnet

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The remote works for me about 40 degrees off axis, from about 2m away. Not as good as a Harmony remote, but more than usable for me. I moved to about 3m away, and it worked within about 30 degrees off axis.

Are you referring to the Topping? It also (just) works for me from 2m away, but only from left of axis. Which means, I have to look at the remote, put my finger on the button I want to press, extend my arm forward and to the left and hope for the best. Then I have to squint and guess what the volume display says, in order to confirm that my commands have arrived. Doing a number of presses (like going from -14dB to -10dB) can be a real chore. The other night I almost flung the remote control into my front wall diffuser panels out of frustration. Luckily, I remembered the time and effort it took to make them, so I managed to hold back…

Trell

Major Contributor

I've the RME ADI-2 DAC FS and the volume read-out is very easily readable using my middle-aged eyes from over 3 meters away when I just tested that now. The remote works by just about pointing every where you like.

In the end you'll have to decide what is most important to you.

Edit: Readable when I change the volume at a distance as well as the status screen @voodooless showed in his post above.

Last edited:
OP
theREALdotnet

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
In the end you'll have to decide what is most important to you.

Indeed. The RME seems like a very nice device, unfortunately it costs AUD2000 over here. The Topping cost me AUD1000. As annoying as the Topping remote is, it’s not 1000 dollars worth of annoying.

Trell

Major Contributor
Indeed. The RME seems like a very nice device, unfortunately it costs AUD2000 over here. The Topping cost me AUD1000. As annoying as the Topping remote is, it’s not 1000 dollars worth of annoying.

Possibly a learning remote could be used instead if the problem is with the remote and not the sensor in the Topping device.

bruceathome

Are you referring to the Topping? It also (just) works for me from 2m away, but only from left of axis. Which means, I have to look at the remote, put my finger on the button I want to press, extend my arm forward and to the left and hope for the best. Then I have to squint and guess what the volume display says, in order to confirm that my commands have arrived. Doing a number of presses (like going from -14dB to -10dB) can be a real chore. The other night I almost flung the remote control into my front wall diffuser panels out of frustration. Luckily, I remembered the time and effort it took to make them, so I managed to hold back…
I have the SMSL SU9n. The volume display is quite large, and easily visible for me. I usually have the volume maxed and the display off though, and control volume using Roon DSP. The remote for the SU9n doesn’t have to be pointed directly at the unit, just within about a 60 degree arc from approx 3m away.

Top Bottom