• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend an "entry level" setup

nab1828

I'm looking to get a hi-fi stereo system for music listening. I would play vinyl and stream digital music. Currently I have a very basic non-audiophile 5.1 system for movies connected to a RX-V4A AVR and LG CX. I also have a MusicCast 20 speaker in my room.

Right now I'm thinking about buying a quality pair of speakers for music, but not sure how to go about it. Active vs passive? Will studio monitors be too expensive and "boring"?

So far I have this in mind: a pair of ELAC DBR62s, a Yamaha A-S301 and Thorens TD 402 DD. Or a set of Neumann KH 80 DSP, a preamp with MusicCast like the WXC-50. How good are the Fives from Klipsch btw? Thanks.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What’s up with the Thorens? Why spend so much money on that?

Also, what is your total budget? What’s the goal of the setup? What environment? Do you want to play loud?

Jdunk54nl

Last edited:
OP
N

nab1828

Budget, definitely under 2k euros. 1500 would be perfect. What's loud? As loud as I can, sometimes, the neighbors are a limiting factor lol. The Thorens is a direct drive and has auto start/stop and an integrated phono preamp, I don't want to fiddle with it too much. Yes none of that is what's preferred here, I don't want any more belts and I don't want to fall asleep while the thing is running without auto stop (I tend to do that a lot).

Jdunk54nl

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d say look for a second hand player.

I’d put the Kali IN-8 second wave on the list as well.

Why the need for MusicCast?

Why not use the AVR and add better passives? Like Kef R3?

Last edited:

andrewjohn007

Forum Donor
My suggestion is to go passive, rather than active. That way you can incrementally upgrade either amplification or speakers independently.

Jdunk54nl

Last edited:

Jdunk54nl

Passive vs. active,

What are your ultimate goals? If just for a 2 channel listening room, active is fine, with respect to listening distance (loudness comes into play).

If your plan is to upgrade to a full home theatre with multi channel, actives are a little harder to integrate, you need signal and power at each speaker location.

Jdunk54nl

Is there any advantage to getting passive speakers? Would those Neuman's sound better than ELAC's, purely for music listening?

Can't 100% say for sure. There is way too much information missing that you will never be able to provide. Like personal preferences, how the room reacts to each set of speakers, how loud you actually play (Most don't actually know and it is usually quieter than everyone thinks) etc.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My suggestion is to go passive, rather than active. That way you can incrementally upgrade either amplification or speakers independently.

So because later on you have the option to spend yet more money, you should go passive? Does not sound like a very good reason.

The Neumann’s are really small and meant for near-field listening, so behind a desk for instance. For anything further away they will quickly struggle.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
JBL LSR 308 (pair} Topping D10B balanced DAC, some wires, generic stands. Get a UMIC-1 microphone $100 and learn to use REW. Use an old computer for playback.

Jdunk54nl

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What speakers do you have hooked up to your Yamaha?

Jdunk54nl

Your link earlier on the Kali worked for me....
Stop giving away my secrets!

Edit* Since Moderator Adam already chimed in, I had to use a workaround to get the links to work by shortening them with bit.ly links

Last edited:
Top Bottom