• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recommend amp and headphones to use with Topping D10

SiW

Currently using a Fiio A3 amp and RHA buds which seems a waste of the D10.

Budget is £500 for the amp and headphones and UK based. Prefer desktop headphone amp as I don’t have an amp rack.

What would you recommend?

Cheers!

Simon

peder2tm

The arcam rHead amps are cheap in the UK (currently only 170£ on Amazon UK) so I think that would be a good option. You can also find a review of it in this forum.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I second the recommendation for the Arcam rHead, at the price you can find it for you won't do any better as a UK based customer.

For headphones it is difficult to make a recommendation as they are such a personal preference. No matter how good sound quality is it means nothing if you can't stand wearing them. And only you can decide what you find comfortable. However I will offer a few to try and consider. The Sennheiser HD 6xx family (600, 650, 660) are very highly regarded and there are bargains to be had. The Sennheiser outlet store has some terrific B stock offers. Polar Audio (UK distributor of Beyerdynamic) often do cracking B stock offers too. I got my T5p's from them for £399, and they were brand new with a 5 year warranty and nothing B-stockish about them. If they are still available at that price them they are a fine product. The Dt1990 model is also worth trying. A truly lovely model is the Oppo PM-2,maybe slightly above your budget but a few weeks ago I picked up a brand new pair (still factory sealed) for £430 and they are staggeringly good IMO. The Akg 712 remains a nice pair of headphones and can be picked up cheaply. A wild card is the Sony MDR Z7, they have just been replaced so you may get a good deal on old stock. I have a pair, they are probably not for everyone as bass is quite pronounced but they are beautifully built and hugely enjoyable I find. An under rated model well worth trying is the Audio Technica MSR 7, very good model that. This is not exhaustive, the best thing is to try as many models as possible and decide which one you like best.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not exhaustive, the best thing is to try as many models as possible and decide which one you like best.

Definitely this.

Not only are there differences in comfort levels between different heads/headphones, there are also differences in how well the headphones seal, which can dramatically affect the amount of bass. Finally, there are significant differences in how the drivers and cups interact with each individual's ear shape, which affects the mid- and particularly high-frequency response.

Having said that, it's very difficult to find anyone who isn't happy with the Sennheiser HD6-- series, as long as sub bass is not a priority.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Yeah, the OP is kind of saying that he's built a nice garage, and now he's looking for a car to go with that.

Transducers are the Important Stuff(R). They should be assigned the larger part of the budget if possible. Do the headphones have to be closed or is open acceptable? What sort of sound are you after?
Having said that, it's very difficult to find anyone who isn't happy with the Sennheiser HD6-- series, as long as sub bass is not a priority.
Indeed. The trusty HD600, for example, is hard to go wrong with, assuming your environment is sufficiently quiet. They've gotten a bit expensive over the years, and prices for spares are approaching robbery, not to mention that I've never been the greatest fan of the marble finish, but they still remain good all-round cans even after 22 years on the market, with a fairly balanced response and low distortion.

The nHead looks good on paper. I just wonder why SNR is not any larger than 109 dB(A) @ 2V out... maybe the input circuit is inverting. Should be just fine for moderate sensitivity hi-fi cans in any case.

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own an rHead. It drives my Massdrop HD 6XX and HE 4XX nicely. So, I recommend the amp and those headphones. You may come in under budget.

OP
S

SiW

Thanks guys :)

I’m used to ear buds as I only listened to music on my commute but can justify some nice cans now as it will be for pure pleasure. Plus the kids are older now so I can relax in the evening and it’s an easier justify good cans than a whole speaker setup.

Always like the ATC active speakers so if I can get near to those I will be happy.

Will check out those recommends and see what eBay / Amazon have with Black Friday coming up.

Wish we had Massdrop in the UK!!

Simon

peder2tm

The rHead looks good on paper. I just wonder why SNR is not any larger than 109 dB(A) @ 2V out... maybe the input circuit is inverting. Should be just fine for moderate sensitivity hi-fi cans in any case.

On it's website it says 98 dB(A) @ 2V out (32 Ohm)
https://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rSeries,Accessories,rHead.htm#techspecs

In Amir's measurements it achieves 105 dB (unweighted) @ 5.8V output level. It seems to have very low distortion but a bit of (probably inaudible) mains hum. So it makes sense that the SNR is worse at lower levels because of the hum. However the A-weighting should hide some of this.

mikehoopes

I’m used to ear buds as I only listened to music on my commute but can justify some nice cans now as it will be for pure pleasure. Plus the kids are older now so I can relax in the evening and it’s an easier justify good cans than a whole speaker setup.

Always like the ATC active speakers so if I can get near to those I will be happy.

Will check out those recommends and see what eBay / Amazon have with Black Friday coming up.

Wish we had Massdrop in the UK!!

Simon
+1 for Sennheiser HD products. I've had my HD 545 for over 20 years, and you can still get replacement parts from the manufacturer.

I bought my Massdrop HD 6XX on eBay. The UK eBay shows some "new other" units have sold recently in the ~£165.00 range. Even "pre-owned" ones should be recent enough that the pads would be in excellent shape. Either Schiit Magni or Topping A30 would be a credible starter amp for this application; take a look at the reviews on this site.

[edit]: Just saw JJB70's post about the Senn outlet. I didn't realize they sold B-stock. Here's the link:
http://outlet.se-shop.de/shops/detail.php?product_id=717

Last edited:

Grave

I'm just going to recommend my stuff.

Topping A30, HD 650 or HD 660 S.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you want HD650's, currently available from the Sennheiser outlet store for £215 with free shipping.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd recommend that if you are able too then try a pair of Oppo PM-2's. These are no longer manufactured but shops still have some stock. They're open back planar magnetic headphones, beautifully made, very easy to drive and with a really sweet sound which is a touch warm. They really do feel rather special and although not cheap they do have a luxury feel. Of the headphones I have I'd put the Oppo's on top at the moment.

esm

Forum Donor
I'd recommend that if you are able too then try a pair of Oppo PM-2's. These are no longer manufactured but shops still have some stock.
Including, it turns out, Oppo's own store: https://oppodigital.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ZPM2

(Note: they're refurbs, but I'd be inclined to trust Oppo's own refurbished headphones over a lot of folks' new stock. Plus, discount.)

Jorj

Forum Donor
I'd recommend that if you are able too then try a pair of Oppo PM-2's. These are no longer manufactured but shops still have some stock. They're open back planar magnetic headphones, beautifully made, very easy to drive and with a really sweet sound which is a touch warm. They really do feel rather special and although not cheap they do have a luxury feel. Of the headphones I have I'd put the Oppo's on top at the moment.

I also love my PM-2's. The only problem is the pleather pads are already peeling, need to find a way to make a quality leather version. They are very efficient a very good sounding for a closed-back. Tyll was also a big fan.

Jorj

Forum Donor
The PM-2 is open-back, the PM-3 is closed back. Just FYI.

My bad, I meant PM-3. Fat fingered. PM-2 is quite a bit more expensive. PM-3 is a great value headphone also.

OP
S

SiW

That’s given me some great starting points.

Guess I need to buy myself a Christmas present or two ;)

Only downside is I’ll need to re-rip my CDs into ALAC - they are in the loft somewhere!

Simon

OP
S

SiW

An under rated model well worth trying is the Audio Technica MSR 7, very good model that.

Is the MSR7NC the same unit but with the box of tricks for noise cancelling?

Simon

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is the MSR7NC the same unit but with the box of tricks for noise cancelling?

Simon

Yes, it is the noise cancelling version. The noise cancelling isn't as good as rivals from Bose or Sony but the sound is pretty much the same as the regular version and better than the alternative noise cancelling models. The MSR 7 is well worth a listen, it's one of those models that seems to fly below most radars yet is very good and isn't unduly expensive.

OP
S

SiW

Yes, it is the noise cancelling version. The noise cancelling isn't as good as rivals from Bose or Sony but the sound is pretty much the same as the regular version and better than the alternative noise cancelling models. The MSR 7 is well worth a listen, it's one of those models that seems to fly below most radars yet is very good and isn't unduly expensive.

Cheers - asking as there’s a refurbished NC version I’ve seen for an OK price.

Simon

Top Bottom