• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recomendation of stereo amplifier for JBL E90

Tautvydas88

Hello from Lithuania!
Im stuck on choosing new stereo amplifier for my JBL E90 towers, specs in link https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/jbl/e90.shtml
Im considering Denon DRA-800H or Yamaha R-N803. Im more like into bass and hip hop/rap music. At this moment I have old yamaha rxv450, but I would like to have newer amplifier for playing music from iPhone and for movies from TV.
Any tips would be great, thank you.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Yamaha R-N803 with ToP ART is a better 2 channel amp than the Denon DRA-800H. It's apparent to the trained eye when doing a visual inspection of the builds.
z yamaha.jpg

z denon.png

OP
T

Tautvydas88

Yes I saw great reviews here for both amps and Yamaha looks much better, but maybe there is more options?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I saw great reviews here for both amps and Yamaha looks much better, but maybe there is more options?
What does the rest of the system look like.
Are you using a DAC?
Do you have a PC connected to the system?
I ask because there might be capability to upgrade to a class D amplifier with more power.

OP
T

Tautvydas88

What does the rest of the system look like.
Are you using a DAC?
Do you have a PC connected to the system?
I ask because there might be capability to upgrade to a class D amplifier with more power.
Currently I only use my Samsung tv to connect my phone to play music from iPhone.. Because my old Yamaha rxv450 does not support bluetooth or airplay. My only wish is to directly connect to amp with my phone and sometimes watch movies. Nothing special I guess.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently I only use my Samsung tv to connect my phone to play music from iPhone.. Because my old Yamaha rxv450 does not support bluetooth or airplay. My only wish is to directly connect to amp with my phone and sometimes watch movies. Nothing special I guess.
I see. Then the Yamaha R-N803 is a very good choice. Anything I would recommend would take you down a rabbit hole of upgrades and system wide changes. I doubt you will hear any changes in stereo mode sound quality going from one Yamaha to another as they are both ToP ART designs and are both decent units. The difference in total power output in stereo mode is not large and you might not appreciate the change. The new Yamaha has wireless and that's the reason I recommend you upgrade from the old to the new. Otherwise if you can skip wireless or are on a strict budget the older Yamaha you have is a good unit too.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP could also look for a Blutooth receiver, to be connected to the old Yamaha.

OP
T

Tautvydas88

I see. Then the Yamaha R-N803 is a very good choice. Anything I would recommend would take you down a rabbit hole of upgrades and system wide changes. I doubt you will hear any changes in stereo mode sound quality going from one Yamaha to another as they are both ToP ART designs and are both decent units. The difference in total power output in stereo mode is not large and you might not appreciate the change. The new Yamaha has wireless and that's the reason I recommend you upgrade from the old to the new. Otherwise if you can skip wireless or are on a strict budget the older Yamaha you have is a good unit too.
maybe cheaper unit R-N602 could be an option too?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
can I spot or hear difference between R-N602 and R-N803? I know 803 has more power but will it sound better?
With your JBLs at up to medium volume levels they will sound pretty much the same. The more powerful one will have a bit more thump at elevated volume levels if turning up the bass but otherwise they will sound pretty much the same. Pretty much the same means if you had a switchbox and could instantly switch from one to the other you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. They will be that close. Your JBL speakers are efficient and that helps a lot with sound output. If you plan on turning up the volume you might like having a little more power available but otherwise no big difference.

OP
T

Tautvydas88

With your JBLs at up to medium volume levels they will sound pretty much the same. The more powerful one will have a bit more thump at elevated volume levels if turning up the bass but otherwise they will sound pretty much the same. Pretty much the same means if you had a switchbox and could instantly switch from one to the other you would be hard pressed to hear a difference. They will be that close. Your JBL speakers are efficient and that helps a lot with sound output. If you plan on turning up the volume you might like having a little more power available but otherwise no big difference.
Thank you very much for clarifying these things. Anyway Im libra as zodiac so I will overthink it a bit more :D

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
these spks have an amazing 91dB

you really really dont need the powerhouse that is the 803... doesnt it do 110w guaranteed

if you dont want to go with a fashionable Chinese class d then you could very well go well down to ~70w from a more boutique manufacturer (say Marantz) and you'll never run out of volume... as much as i love raw power i'd rather have some less powerful but a 'better' amplifier

also i dont care about inbuilt bluetooth... you're better off with a seperate box w/ sp/dif out so you can toss it if and when it becomes 'outdated'

OP
T

Tautvydas88

Forgot to ask one more thing. My speakers has 8Ω, both amps 803 and 602 has 4Ω and 8Ω. Should I use 8Ω with my speakers? Speakers has Power Handling: 110W, so from amp it should not overcome that no matter what Ω is set? Its a dark forest for me

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
in this current testing there's only one amp that graphhically failed 4 ohm and thats the sony str-dh190

i wouldnt worry about that

ANY decent amp should cruise in 4 ohms...

OP
T

Tautvydas88

these spks have an amazing 91dB

you really really dont need the powerhouse that is the 803... doesnt it do 110w guaranteed

if you dont want to go with a fashionable Chinese class d then you could very well go well down to ~70w from a more boutique manufacturer (say Marantz) and you'll never run out of volume... as much as i love raw power i'd rather have some less powerful but a 'better' amplifier

also i dont care about inbuilt bluetooth... you're better off with a seperate box w/ sp/dif out so you can toss it if and when it becomes 'outdated'
could it be marantz nr1200?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Forgot to ask one more thing. My speakers has 8Ω, both amps 803 and 602 has 4Ω and 8Ω. Should I use 8Ω with my speakers? Speakers has Power Handling: 110W, so from amp it should not overcome that no matter what Ω is set? Its a dark forest for me
Use the 8 Ohm setting.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If I am being picky about things the Cambridge Audio unit has a cooling fan that is located at the rear of the receiver it might be noisy, they require maintenance/cleaning and they fail. I also read a review where the person said the display scrolls and is annoying. Otherwise the CA is a OK unit. I think you get more for your money with the Yamaha R-N803. More wireless stuff, passive heatsinks, USB and you will have Yamaha warranty support which is some of the best coverage available.

Top Bottom