• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recent Planar Driver Research

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I read your title as Rega Planar Driver research. :)

I don't see much different than a Maggie in principle.

Heck I did almost exactly what the paper did like 35 years ago. Main problem is efficiency. But there are better magnets available than I had on hand.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maggies have been around for a long time. Made in the USA and they have their fans.

MRC01

Major Contributor
Agreed. I wonder what is "Novel" in this paper, because my read is that what they're describing has been around for decades.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Looks like they use a spiral trace on polyimide, not sure why that is so novel or even desirable. Whatever.

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Looks like they use a spiral trace on polyimide, not sure why that is so novel or even desirable. Whatever.

See 1. and 2. in the abstract.

The conclusion is slanted toward advantages over traditional cone-type speakers.

The paper is a bit light on specifics.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
See 1. and 2. in the abstract.

The conclusion is slanted toward advantages over traditional cone-type speakers.

The paper is a bit light on specifics.

Saw that, but flat, flexible designs have been around for many decades now, including a bunch of flat flexible formed radiators for applications like sonar and ultrasound heads. I worked with those in the early 1990's and they were not new then though the research into flexible substrates was becoming a greater focus for sonic and RF (antenna) radiators (among other things).

OTOH if I had a dime for every " new old" idea... I decided ages ago everything I could think up had been done by somebody using tubes in the 30's. :) (Only partially joking -- transistors did enable some new ways of doing things).

OP
Wombat

Wombat

Master Contributor
Saw that, but flat, flexible designs have been around for many decades now, including a bunch of flat flexible formed radiators for applications like sonar and ultrasound heads. I worked with those in the early 1990's and they were not new then though the research into flexible substrates was becoming a greater focus for sonic and RF (antenna) radiators (among other things).

OTOH if I had a dime for every " new old" idea... I decided ages ago everything I could think up had been done by somebody using tubes in the 30's. :) (Only partially joking -- transistors did enable some new ways of doing things).

Agree. I have ceased being surprised at patents being issued where specific 'prior art' is obvious.

Top Bottom