• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Recent DAC purchase underwhelming

rog2020

I recently purchased the Schiit Modi and Magni DAC/Amp combo because my current PC soundcard, Soundblaster-Z, does not want to work with Linux. My thought was that since the digital output of the Soundblaster does work in Linux, I could use that and send to a DAC to listen to my headphones. When I'm in Windows, I would use the Soundblaster analog output.

I'm pretty disappointed in the sound I get out of the Schiit setup. It's really not even comparable to the Soundblaster, which I think sounds great. I'm a newbie when it comes to audio and DAC's, so I guess my question is am I doing something wrong here? I am using Audioquest Evergreen RCA cables, which look like good quality. My headphones are Sennheiser HD280 pro.

If I went with a different DAC, can I expect to get anything similar to the sound I get with the Soundblaster?

Thanks

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Provide more detail please, exact OS and the full signal chain. That will help people. I can't imagine that the Soundblaster-Z would sound better than the Modi. Which Modi version by the way. Welcome to the community.

Reactions: PSO

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes, welcome to ASR. If I understand you correctly, I'd would bypass the soundblaster digital out and connect straight from PC usb to the Modi usb in.

Reactions: PSO
OP
R

rog2020

Sound card: Soundblaster-Z

TOSLINK: KabelDirekt – 10 feet – Optical Digital Audio Cable (Fiber Optic, TOSLINK, Male to Male, Home Theater, Gold Plated, for Playstation/PS4 & Xbox – Pro Series)

Modi 3+

Audio quest Evergreen RCA Male to RCA Male Cable 1.97 ft.

Magni ( not sure the version, purchased 5 days ago)

Sennheiser 1/4" Adapter - 549346 Authentic Genuine Universal 6.35mm Adapter Jack - 3.5mm (1/8 Inch) to (1/4 Inch)

Sennheiser HD 280 pro

Im using the provided power adapters for the Modi and Magni.

I suppose I could try testing using my onboard soundcard digital output.

OP
R

rog2020

Alright, I tried the PC USB to the Modi USB in and it does sound much better, louder even. Can a fiber cable cause sound issues? I was under the assumption digital is digital especially when traveling over fiber? I suppose it could be the Soundblaster digital out that is the issue as well.

With that being said, something still sounds a little off compared to the Soundblaster. Maybe I'm just used to the sound and that's the style I like, but things like voice and symbols crashing don't seem as clear. I'm listening to flac files, Avengend Sevenfold - Roman Sky, which is like a long crescendo, and it just sounds lacking when the end hits on the Schiit setup. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to return it and bang my head on trying to get the Soundblaster working in Linux.

Thanks for the help!

Budgeter

Alright, I tried the PC USB to the Modi USB in and it does sound much better, louder even. Can a fiber cable cause sound issues? I was under the assumption digital is digital especially when traveling over fiber? I suppose it could be the Soundblaster digital out that is the issue as well.

With that being said, something still sounds a little off compared to the Soundblaster. Maybe I'm just used to the sound and that's the style I like, but things like voice and symbols crashing don't seem as clear. I'm listening to flac files, Avengend Sevenfold - Roman Sky, which is like a long crescendo, and it just sounds lacking when the end hits on the Schiit setup. Unfortunately, I think I'm going to return it and bang my head on trying to get the Soundblaster working in Linux.

Thanks for the help!
Digital to digital can still be a mess if a hardware implementation is somehow broken, I would say this is an edge case and rarely happens though. My guess is that you are used to the sound of your current setup. Personally, I used to own Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 DAC/AMP for several years until I changed to new stuffs. When I move on to Fiio E10k, D10 + Atom, I initially feel the new setups are much worse.

After a while, I conclude that new gears are better than my old SB card. The funny thing is, unless a person has a good or trained ear (E.g: musician), I don't think s/he can form a baseline for what "good" sound is. For me, what if I start from E10k and go back to SB card? I don't know, maybe I will think SB is better then.

In short, if you think the product is not good, then just return it for a peace of mind. Unless you are willing to keep the gears no matter they are good or bad to have new experience.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
The Windows drivers of SB cards of this generation tend to come with all kinds of DSP crap turned on by default, including a severe bass boost. That's the first thing I disabled on the Audigy FX. If that wasn't done previously, you may be comparing apples and oranges.

BTW, a years-old, fairly mainstream card like the SB Z still isn't supported by Linux? Bummer. I wouldn't have thought it would be this hard.

Top Bottom