• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Receiver (stereo) or pre-amp & amp recommendations $500-$1000?

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My dad is finally giving up on his not so trusty 40 year old integrated Technics SA-800A, so I'm looking for some recommendations.

He primarily listens to CDs via their Blu-Ray player. They do some streaming and I'm guessing this will increase since they were just able to get broadband and no longer have OTA data limitations. I'll probably get him x months of some streaming service for Christmas to help him down that path. If you have a recommendation on which service has the deepest catalog for blues I'm all ears. My mom is looking for recommendations for a replacement to his receiver.

I doubt they will ever do surround-sound but the feature set+HDMI could be convincing, the intimidate value in some AVRs seems really high but I question the longevity since I've never had one last more than a handful of years. I think they would be unhappy with the purchase if it died 5 years later.

Sources could be Blu-ray for movies or CDs. Audio from their cable box or TV but honestly for them analogue is probably fine. Maybe some kind of streaming but he would probably be happy with analogue from this PC or phone.
He does have a Technics tape player from that era, a Pioneer PL-630 turn-table and used to listen to some FM/AM. But I think all of those are exceedingly rare for them to use now. I would guess if he could get the turn-table working he would use it some, but some external pre-amp is also ok.

He has just stereo now, NHT ST4s.
https://www.nhthifi.com/products/11116-st4

He's talked about a sub-woofer. So something with basic bass management could be a plus, but not a must. Since he is just stereo from pre-amp>sub as bass management>high pass out to amp is probably fine too.

A few ideas.

Outlaw RR2160, this is probably the closest direct replacement for all of the functionality of his current setup.
https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index....ite=rr2160-stereo-receiver&controller=product

Anything in this price range from Yamaha in the AS-x01, feels like the closest in lineage to what he has but with less functionality. The Technics stuff in this area is higher end and priced.
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/hifi_components/index.html

Separate amp and pre-amp.
Schiit Saga https://www.schiit.com/products/saga-2
And whatever class-d amp fits the budget. An easy choice seems like the Buckeye Amps NC252/502 since he's just about an hour and a half away from us and the product seems good. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

What do you think of these, any other ideas or products I'm missing?

Price is probably a little flexible, I can pitch some money in if there is something amazing at $1200 or $1500 for example. But if I'm going to spend $500 on this I would rather get him a Rythmik L12 and still have my mom get him something at $1k or less.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a Denon x3600 for $799 And the L12 sub. Quite the value and performance.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

Yeah, I'm thinking that is the best option too. But I think he would be (psychologically) happier with a more 'traditional' product so really I'm trying to convince myself another path is a good idea.

With an AVR with 2 powered zones he can also easily power his speakers in the basement, and maybe even run zone 1 or 2 line level out to his back deck (powered) speakers.

That option really does make the most sense. I would guess his turntable is MC so he would still need a pre-amp, but that's fine. There are very few optoins that have MC/MM phono pre-amps built in. Edit: Maybe it's actually MM, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you need 3 zones, you could go even to an x4500 which you can get on sale as well. The x3xxxx series offers 2 zones. If you go with any of the Denon’s (x3xxxx and up) be sure to get the audyssey app as well. Getting a product.
The Yamahas are really nice units as well. The tone controls/loudness controls are really useful. Either way you go he should be really happy.

OP
T

Trouble Maker

I don't think he needs 3 powered zones, or even 3 separate zones to play different things in all 3 places. The biggest thing is a way to power the basement speakers, which a powered zone 2 does. So I think the 3x00 level is fine.

Top Bottom