• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Receiver for 4 OHMS Speakers

groenigd

Hi
I have two AR 58 speakers from the early 80's, I read they are 4 OHMS.
I want analog for listening to records, also have cd player and cassette deck.
Do you have any suggestions for newer receivers that will give me that old school sound?
As you probably can tell this is all new to me and very confusing. thank You!

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Do you have any suggestions for newer receivers that will give me that old school sound?
Your choice of receiver will make very little difference in "sound" except that a modern receiver will probably have more power. Unless you want to go way-back and find a tube receiver (or amplifier).

Every speaker sounds different and of course the cassettes will sound "vintage". AR made some great speakers that would still be great today but I've mostly heard about (and actually heard) the AR-3. I don't know anything about the AR-58.

So you can just look for one rated for a 4-Ohm load. I think that was more common in the old days because many receivers had A/B speaker switches and when running two pair of 8-Ohm speakers at the same time, you have a 4-Ohm load. My (inexpensive) AVR is rated for 6-Ohms minimum.

Top Bottom