• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Receiver as Pre Amp

jefny

20 Years ago I set up a home theater (5.1) and used the Outlaw 950 as a pre-amp and the Outlaw 770 (200 watts by 7) as the amp. 11 years ago I went to 7.2 but could not find a reasonably priced pre-amp so I used a receiver (Marantz 5005) as a pre-amp. I recently saw the need to update my receiver (mostly over hdmi issues and to get up to date technology) to either a true pre-amp or receiver to be used as a pre-amp.

After reading reviews and researching through this forum I have run into the same issue of pre-amps costing 2 or 3 times as much as a receiver. I decided on the Denon x3700h (I also looked at the Marantz) because of its pre-amp mode as well as other attributes. I just had two experiences at two different authorized Denon dealers where the salesmen tried to talk me out of the Denon and get a "true" pre-amp. In one case the recommendation was for an Emotiva at double the price of the Denon and the second case (yesterday) an Anthem pre-amp at triple the price of the Denon.

When I asked about the difference I was told of the "superior" sound and "superior" components. Neither location was able to demonstrate the superior sound as they had no set up to demonstrate the difference. . In effect I was to accept the salesmen's say so. There is an obvious conflict of interest as I am sure there is a bigger profit in something that costs 2 or 3 times as much but is it really worth the extra money?

JohnF

Golfx

Forum Donor
No it is not worth the price increase. If you read through this website especially it’s review of the Denon AVR 8500h. Then read it’s review of the Marantz’s or other manufacturers preamps. You will find measurements supporting superior SINAD and improved engineering hygiene of Denon AVRS (in preamp mode) over actual separate preamps.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem and Emotiva AVR's have been reviewed here, definitely recommended reading if you're on the fence.

Almost every current Denon has also been reviewed here, both in pre and "full AVR" modes. A few Marantz as well - Denon came out on top in pretty much every regard. The Monolith HTP-1 is pretty cool, but the price is simply unreasonable against the bigger names.

Re: the differences between Denons, recommend this thread:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...8500h-x6700h-x4700h-and-x3700h-updated.15552/

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Unless you have a turntable (and you need a phono preamp) a "preamp" is mostly a "control center" and it has very little effect on the sound quality (other than the bass & treble controls, etc.). 90% of the time it's attenuating rather than amplifying.

The cost of a preamp is mostly related to it being a "specialty item" that's manufactured, distributed, and sold, in small quantities. That also means the per-unit engineering/development and advertising costs are higher. Plus, people who buy a preamp are willing to spend more and a higher price makes it more desirable to "audiophiles". ;)

oupee

Unless you have a turntable (and you need a phono preamp) a "preamp" is mostly a "control center" and it has very little effect on the sound quality (other than the bass & treble controls, etc.). 90% of the time it's attenuating rather than amplifying.

The cost of a preamp is mostly related to it being a "specialty item" that's manufactured, distributed, and sold, in small quantities. That also means the per-unit engineering/development and advertising costs are higher. Plus, people who buy a preamp are willing to spend more and a higher price makes it more desirable to "audiophiles". ;)
The quality of the preamplifier is as important as any part of the audio chain.

Top Bottom