• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reccomended Set Up and Subwoofer for Hypex NC502MP

SSA

Hi all, I recently got a good deal on a Hypex NC502MP power amplifier. I would like to integrated a subwoofer when I get this set up but there is no subwoofer out on the unit.

What are my potential set up options for adding a subwoofer, things to consider, and any pros or cons?

Thanks in advance
SSA

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Option 1: sub with high level in (speaker terminals similar to amps) -> plug two cables into each port of the amp, one for sub one for speaker.

Option 2: use the internal sub's crossover and plug the speakers into the output RCA of the sub. DAC -> SUB -> AMP -> Speaker.

No clue about possible drawbacks of Option1 but Option 2 has the potential drawback of being dependent on the quality of the sub's crossover implementation.

Option 3: crossover in a VST and use of a multichannel DAC. Expensive, fiddly, PC use required. Probably not a fit for you.

OP
S

SSA

Thanks Aerith.

Option 1 would be preferable to Option 2. I'll have two set ups connecting into the power amp (not at the same time) and I would like use the speakers and subwoofer for both. I'll simply just swap the inputs going into the power amplifier as needed which I am fine with.

Not sure if this is relevant too but one of the set ups will be XLR balanced all the way through and the other XLR unbalanced. Is there any potential issues with grounding to consider here or issues if I am interchanging the inputs?

Can anyone provide a list of subs with high / speakers level input? Like I said, I am aware of a few from this forum but maybe there are some specific subs or brands I haven't considered.

Thanks

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Can anyone provide a list of subs with high / speakers level input? Like I said, I am aware of a few from this forum but maybe there are some specific subs or brands I haven't considered.
I didn’t categorize them in my spreadsheet, but there’s a lot of subs with high level inputs. See my signature for link.

Top Bottom