• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rec for DAC, amp, and headphones for under 400$

kvluo

I currently have a CD collection that I brought from home sitting at my dorm and I'd like to invest in a new system. I currently plan on buying a random bluray player from amazon but I'm unsure what I should purchase for DAC, amp, and headphones. I originally had my eyes on a Schitt stack with Modi 3+ and Magni but Modi 3+ is no longer available on the official site. Is Magni still a good option for headphone amp if I don't use Modi 3+ for my DAC? I mostly listen to electronic music (such as IDM, ambient, electro and such), indie rock, shoegaze, and hip hop. What are some recs for headphones, DAC, and amp within my budget?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Modi 3E is the 3+ successor. Add to it a Magni Heresy and HifiMan HE400SE, and you’re all set! :)

Last edited:
OP
K

kvluo

Modi 3E is the 3+ successor. Add to it Magni Heresy and HifiMan 400SE, and you’re all set! :)
It takes 4-6 weeks from Modi 3E to ship and I'm not sure if I have the time to wait..

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Time to wait or patience to wait? :)

According to Schiit, Magni 3+ is all discrete, while Heresy is based on integrated chips…. There also used to be an “IE-Magni“ - a slightly upgraded Heresy - but looks like it‘s not offered anymore either…

Last edited:
OP
K

kvluo

Time to wait or patience to wait? :)

According to Schiit, Magni 3+ is all discrete, while Heresy is based on integrated chips…. There also used to be an “IE-Magni“ - a slightly upgraded Heresy - but looks like it‘s not offered anymore either…
It's a complicated situation but I actually don't have the time :(
Based on the difference, why did you recommend Heresy over Magni 3+?

Raindog123

Major Contributor
why did you recommend Heresy over Magni 3+?

Because I own Heresy and love it... And per Amir‘s measurements, its SINAD is 119dB (vs Magni 3+’s 104).

Plus, it comes in black (with red sides) to match my black Modi 3. :)

Last edited:

Raindog123

Major Contributor
hahaha I guess that's a good enough reason. So which DAC would you recommend if Schiit is out of the question?

I am a wrong person to recommend Modi alternatives — as I own three of those and got rid of everything else. But there are definitely other highly regarded “$100-class” options — hopefully the ASR folks will chip in shortly. And you can do some search here too…

Last edited:

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently have a CD collection that I brought from home sitting at my dorm and I'd like to invest in a new system. I currently plan on buying a random bluray player from amazon but I'm unsure what I should purchase for DAC, amp, and headphones. I originally had my eyes on a Schitt stack with Modi 3+ and Magni but Modi 3+ is no longer available on the official site. Is Magni still a good option for headphone amp if I don't use Modi 3+ for my DAC? I mostly listen to electronic music (such as IDM, ambient, electro and such), indie rock, shoegaze, and hip hop. What are some recs for headphones, DAC, and amp within my budget?
Have you considered making FLAC (or mp3s) audio files, from your CDs and load them on to a DAP (Digital Audio Player).
You can then plug the headphones directly into the DAP.

JSmith

Master Contributor
So which DAC would you recommend if Schiit is out of the question?
This measures well and is in the same price range;

JSmith

OP
K

kvluo

Have you considered making FLAC (or mp3s) audio files, from your CDs and load them on to a DAP (Digital Audio Player).
You can then plug the headphones directly into the DAP.
I've been advised by a lot of people just to burn my disks but I'm still adamant about the feeling of a physical medium lol

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've been advised by a lot of people just to burn my disks but I'm still adamant about the feeling of a physical medium lol
Cool, you want to listen from the CD :)
A Schiit Fulla 4 DAC/amp ($109) comes with an optical input.
So any old DVD player, with an optical output would do the job.
Using a cheaper DAC/amp, leaves more in your budget for headphones :)

Raindog123

Major Contributor
Based on the difference, why did you recommend Heresy over Magni 3+?

Top Bottom