• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reasons to doubt your noggin

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread is for collection audio illusions, tricks and things that prove that we can't trust our ears.

Let me start:

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This one is strong:

kongwee

Major Contributor
This thread is for collection audio illusions, tricks and things that prove that we can't trust our ears.

Let me start:
That guy is playing unison key but came out as monotone. Also tritone mean playing three notes. Technically he is playing intervals.

Eggs Ackley

There is a parking garage that I frequently use and at the entrance gate a recorded voice says, "take the parking ticket". One time my wife said it sounded like "take the fucking ticket" and now every time I go there it sounds exactly that way, I mean for real. I think she damaged my brain.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our brains are made to detect patterns. If you speak english, this is what your brain does to this song:

[Chorus]
Dancing on the walls,
Cat got stuck in handbag,
Yours only yours,
We're single dance band
It's no a lie,
Lisa in the crowd said,
Look Harry had a vagina malfunction.

However, these are the real lyrics, it's swedish:

[Chorus]
Så kom och
Dansa med oss
Klappa era händer
Gör som vi gör
Ta några steg åt vänster
Lyssna och lär
Missa inte chansen
Nu är vi här med
Caramelldansen
Dansa med oss
Klappa era händer
Gör som vi gör
Ta några steg åt vänster
Lyssna och lär
Missa inte chansen
Nu är vi här med
Caramelldansen

And yet, despite all this, people still think they can or should trust their ears over measurements.

OP
TheBatsEar

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And another one:

Golden eared people, if you can't detect the difference between "fourty-nine" and "iphone" how will you hear differences in competently built DACs?

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is a parking garage that I frequently use and at the entrance gate a recorded voice says, "take the parking ticket". One time my wife said it sounded like "take the fucking ticket" and now every time I go there it sounds exactly that way, I mean for real. I think she damaged my brain.
Wives can do that.

Top Bottom