• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Realtek ALC1220 - a look on PC sound

clipz

Games/Music/Movies. I am in Europe, but I already bought one. It sounds better to my ears than the mobo. It is the European version but it is loud enough for my PC38x, is there any other difference between the EU and US versions?

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I suspect your onboard output may not have super low output impedance (it is not uncommon to see 75 ohms even on headphone outputs, you may need to try a few different ports), and the PC38X impedance graph isn't exactly dead flat, which is sum may very well account for any difference - the Apple dongle would have near 0 ohm output impedance. If the difference in maximum level between the two is not nearly as big as one would normally expect, that would reinforce my suspicion.
index.php

One could check whether the difference is still present with a standalone headphone amplifier (I bet it would pretty much evaporate into thin air, assuming there aren't any DSP misimprovements turned on, which is not uncommonly the case in headphone operation - check the Realtek Audio Console app if in doubt).

Mantra

In addition to the motherboard drivers, there is also a guy maintaining universal Reaktek drivers that should work with all motherboard onboard Realtek audio chipsets. He has driver releases @ https://github.com/pal1000/Realtek-UAD-generic
They are more up to date if your motherboard manufacturer is slacking there, and could possibly contain some bug/vulnerability fixes.
They are also somewhat slimmed down compared to manufacturer releases and fully compatible with the Realtek UAD console app which is nice.
Might be a good idea to get some measurement comparison to ensure his universal drivers are working correctly.

I mentioned the GPU noise affecting onboard audio in another thread and had people absolutely insist that it wasn't the GPU and other USB devices and devices connected to other AC outlets in the house were causing it. Be ready for them to show up here too. :rolleyes:
One of my favourite forms of GPU noise interference is scrolling a webpage causing a small framebuffer processing spike that makes a scratching noise come through the onboard audio.
Hi
might I ask you if these drivers are only most updated or do they include some new features ?
Shold I uninstall the realtek drivers and and after install the UAD generic?
thanks

OP
O

Offler

Hi
might I ask you if these drivers are only most updated or do they include some new features ?
Shold I uninstall the realtek drivers and and after install the UAD generic?
thanks
It appears to be a package for uninstalling old drivers and semi-manual installation of specific type of drivers by Realtek. The github repository does not seem to contain any Realtek driver files, so you have to get those on your own.

Top Bottom