• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Really need help deciding on AVR / Processor

WilliamO

Hello all.

I have read through forum after forum, to include, the excellent threads on empirical measurements on the units. I understand all have pros/cons, but as surely as I made my mind up and was in the checkout process, uncertainty hit.

This setup is for my upstairs family room - 85" Sony TY, may possibly upgrade to UST projector. I am doing separate equipment for 2-channel.

I have:
LCR: Dali M-375
Surrounds / Ceiling: Dali

I was initially purchasing:
Emotiva MC1
Emotiva BasX 7-channel
Emotiva BasX 4-channel

Considering (Receiver / Processor):
NAD-T778 - underpowered amplifiers; built in streaming
Anthem MRX740 - meh; not crazy about the styling
Sony ES? - I have an 1100 I really like
Rotel? - hate the plasticy (if that's a word) corners

I will do a separate setup for 2 channel (Considering):
NAD M33 - mixed reviews; no theater bypass; mediocre sound --I REALLY REALLY think this thing is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!--
Parasound Halo P6 / A23+ - theater bypass; need streaming device
Arcam SA 20 / Arcam ST 60 - varying reviews; buggy; poor interface
Arcam SA30 - room correction; built in streaming; buggy; poor interface

I have Sony TA-A1ES / HAP-Z1ES; not certain it is sufficient for the Dalis; no theater bypass

I played the Dalis with my MC275MKVI (mono) and they initially sounded a little dark to me. I figure they'll brighten up with SS amplification, maybe Class D?

Yes, cost is a consideration within reason - no $20K processor :) $5K or so is not out of the equation if I'm moved by it, hence the NAD M33

Ok, that's all for now.

BTW - I was really excited about the Emotiva units. Like, for real for real

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently tested both NAD t778 and anthem mrx1140 in my new 7.2.4 home theater. I chose the Anthem. It's rock solid reliable and does a better job of driving my speakers and subwoofers than the NAD. ARC genesis room correction is great. I highly recommend.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I recently tested both NAD t778 and anthem mrx1140 in my new 7.2.4 home theater. I chose the Anthem. It's rock solid reliable and does a better job of driving my speakers and subwoofers than the NAD. ARC genesis room correction is great. I highly recommend.
Have you used the beta arc genesis yet? There is some update that is supposed to handle sub integration better.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you used the beta arc genesis yet? There is some update that is supposed to handle sub integration better.
I have not yet. I'm going to try it this weekend. It will include phase alignment and automatic delay calculation. These will help with setting the best timing for each speaker's sound to arrive at the listening position at the right time and help with better blending the subwoofers with the main speakers at the crossover frequency.

One thing I would recommend at this price point is support for individual room correction for multiple subwoofers. This will allow much better handling of room modes than just a single output splitter. Mine supports 2 individual subs. The NAD had 2 outputs but only one correction value for the subwoofers.

Keened

Forum Donor
Wait for the Anthem 70 line refresh, the RZ50 with external amps, or wait for the RZ70.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a good review with test measurements of the MRX AVRs.

Here is Amir's review of the AVM70.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is Amir's review of the Onkyo RZ50. <edited to remove an incorrect assertion.>

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
Here is a good review with test measurements of the MRX AVRs.

Here is Amir's review of the AVM70.
The AVM90 with the HDMI 2.1 chips baked in promise much more (but it is unmeasured!) and unless they want to keep offering a separate box solution to the AVM70 they'll probably just nerf the 90 platform a bit and stick it in the new 70.

I'm not correcting you here, just giving some more context to why I said wait for the refresh and not buy the current one.

Here is Amir's review of the Onkyo RZ50. Based on this review I would not recommend using it's as a pre-amp and stick to using it as a full AVR.

That seems to be the opposite of the general consensus, why?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The AVM90 with the HDMI 2.1 chips baked in promise much more (but it is unmeasured!) and unless they want to keep offering a separate box solution to the AVM70 they'll probably just nerf the 90 platform a bit and stick it in the new 70.

I'm not correcting you here, just giving some more context to why I said wait for the refresh and not buy the current one.

That seems to be the opposite of the general consensus, why?
You are correct. I mis-read that review as the internal amps saturating and killing the pre-amp outputs as so many others do but it's actually the opposite. So better to run it as a pre-amp.

RE: The AVM90 vs. 70 is better for many reasons and more expensive. For HDMI 2.1 if that's an important feature, Anthem is offering a board upgrade for the 60, 70 and the MRX AVRs when the board is available. So you could wait to see if they refresh the line with the new board, or just purchase it and have it installed later. It really depends on your timetable and the importance of HDMI 2.1 for your particular setup. For me it wasn't a concern. I don't expect Anthem to run on a yearly upgrade cycle like Denon does, especially with the current state of global supply chain. So not sure how long the wait would be.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not yet. I'm going to try it this weekend. It will include phase alignment and automatic delay calculation. These will help with setting the best timing for each speaker's sound to arrive at the listening position at the right time and help with better blending the subwoofers with the main speakers at the crossover frequency.

One thing I would recommend at this price point is support for individual room correction for multiple subwoofers. This will allow much better handling of room modes than just a single output splitter. Mine supports 2 individual subs. The NAD had 2 outputs but only one correction value for the subwoofers.
After using it with multiple subs it would be interesting to see measurements showing what and how it does with multiple sub integration and mains/sub integration. If it can be shown to do what Dirac DLBC does it will be a big deal.

Wiley

Hello all.

I have read through forum after forum, to include, the excellent threads on empirical measurements on the units. I understand all have pros/cons, but as surely as I made my mind up and was in the checkout process, uncertainty hit.

This setup is for my upstairs family room - 85" Sony TY, may possibly upgrade to UST projector. I am doing separate equipment for 2-channel.

I have:
LCR: Dali M-375
Surrounds / Ceiling: Dali

I was initially purchasing:
Emotiva MC1
Emotiva BasX 7-channel
Emotiva BasX 4-channel

Considering (Receiver / Processor):
NAD-T778 - underpowered amplifiers; built in streaming
Anthem MRX740 - meh; not crazy about the styling
Sony ES? - I have an 1100 I really like

I will do a separate setup for 2 channel (Considering):
NAD M33 - mixed reviews; no theater bypass; mediocre sound --I REALLY REALLY think this thing is SWEET!!!!!!!!!!--
Parasound Halo P6 / A23+ - theater bypass; need streaming device
Arcam SA 20 / Arcam ST 60 - varying reviews; buggy; poor interface
Arcam SA30 - room correction; built in streaming; buggy; poor interface

I have Sony TA-A1ES / HAP-Z1ES; not certain it is sufficient for the Dalis; no theater bypass

I played the Dalis with my MC275MKVI (mono) and they initially sounded a little dark to me. I figure they'll brighten up with SS amplification, maybe Class D?

Yes, cost is a consideration within reason - no $20K processor :) $5K or so is not out of the equation if I'm moved by it, hence the NAD M33

Ok, that's all for now.

BTW - I was really excited about the Emotiva units. Like, for real for real
Denon will send you their stuff for a 90 day trial in your house and pay for return shipping. they have a hidden site of refurbished gear for 15% off.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Denon will send you their stuff for a 90 day trial in your house and pay for return shipping. they have a hidden site of refurbished gear for 15% off.
Thanks very much for posting! I had no idea about this. The site indicates "60 day returns*" and "free shipping*". The warranty is one year, versus three years for a new unit.

Top Bottom