• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Really like koss kph30i something similar?

TjindarSingh

Hello this is Tjindar on audio science review

Really like the Koss kph30i even more in some ways than HiFiman sundara, zmf aeolus, dan Clark aeon 2 both the closed and open. are there other phones with this easy addictive sound? No I don't think the porta pro is as good, have them too.

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_185509796.jpg
    IMG_20220913_185509796.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

eardiggler

The KPH 30i's are far and away my favorite headphones!
They have great bass and detail. I keep coming back to them and usually prefer them over my He400Se's. I haven't tried Dan Clarks but many other headphones. The other one's that sound similar with subjectively a touch more detail are the Koss KSC75. I think they sound a little better than the PortaPros. The newer KPH 40's are getting a lot of hype, but I haven't tried those yet. What I like about the 30i's is you can wear them all day without fatigue. They don't get hot in the summer either. With the Oratory EQ they sound even better.

Last edited:
OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

The KPH 30i's are far and away my favorite headphones!
They have great bass and detail. I keep coming back to them and usually prefer them over my He400Se's. I haven't tried Dan Clarks but many other headphones. The other one's that sound similar with subjectively a touch more detail are the Koss KSC75. I think they sound a little better than the PortaPros. The newer KPH 40's are getting a lot of hype, but I haven't tried those yet. What I like about the 30i's is you can wear them all day without fatigue. They don't get hot in the summer either. With the Oratory EQ they sound even better.
I like the kph30i more than Dan Clark aeon 2 both the open and closed one, to my ears the kph30i is better. Also prefers them over a couple of hifiman.

Do you have any amp to drive them?

eardiggler

I use them with an EarStudio Dac/Amp sometimes but they also sound great directly from my Macbook or Iphone streaming Hi-Res. They don't require much power to get singing. If you haven't tried the KSC75's I would recommend them. I go back and fourth between KPH30i and the KSC75's. The KSC75's seem to have touch more detail in the higher bands while the KPH30i is a little more balanced. The way the KPH hooks into your ear is very strange but people go through the trouble of modifying them with a headband because the drivers sound so good.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
KPH30i vs Portapro new.png

KPH30i versus current PortaPro.
Very similar on the test fixture and very likely the same drivers.
In practice, however, the KPH30i has bigger and differently shaped ear pads and rests on the ears. This may be creating a better seal/coupling to you.
The PortaPro rests on the temples (just above the ears) and less so on the ears. That's why there is this little adjuster on it.
It may be more comfy for people wearing glasses, but can also create a less good coupling changing the sound.

So they can sound different and comfort is different. In fact I had to remove the little metal 'hook' because it kept poking in the top of my pinna.
Instead I prefer the KSC35 and KSC75 (the KSC55 was too heavy in weight).
I also did not like the KSC35 has a terrible ear-clip.
Fortunately the KSC7X came along and its clips were similar to the 'easy to bend in perfect shape' KSC75 clips but in all black so moved these to KSC35.
The newer KSC75, however, is not the same as the earlier one despite Koss insuring me there were no changes. I hear and measure differences between them.

These Koss thingies have nice (smooth) midrange, distort easily in the lows, certainly at higher than 'active' listening levels, lack subbass.
They are easily for the brain to 'adjust' to and only disappoint when directly comparing them to 'better' headphones.
I really enjoy the KSC35/75.

eardiggler

That's a-shame about the newer KSC75's. I love my old ones. Have you tried the KSC's with a headband? A lot of people convert them with this cheap little headband and the drivers snap right in: https://www.parts-express.com/Mini-Stereo-Lightweight-Headphones-with-4-ft.-Cord-240-015

With the KPH30i I use the Oratory 1990 EQ settings plugged into Soundsource on my MAC. It seems to clean up the low bass distortion and they seem a bit more balanced. Here is KSC75 response for comparison.
Review: Koss KSC75 On-Ear Clips – the Iconic Not-Quite-Headphones Alternative - Headphonesty 2...jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I have some KPH30i versus other comparable KOSS models on the same fixture measurements here.
Some bits about KSC75, old and new and KSC75x here
compar-ksc75.gif

I prefer the ear clips over a headband.

OP
TjindarSingh

TjindarSingh

I have some KPH30i versus other comparable KOSS models on the same fixture measurements here.
Some bits about KSC75, old and new and KSC75x here
compar-ksc75.gif

I prefer the ear clips over a headband.
Thanks for the graphs

Top Bottom