• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Really Good Loudspeakers

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have owned Quads from 57s to 2805. I own the equivalent of the Mark Levinson HQD system with stacked Quad 57s
The KLH Model 9s were wonderful, but kept breaking.

Due to space limitations, my current speakers are Harbeth 40.1s with Benchmark electronics and cables.

So: all Quad from 57 on (yes-subwoofers required) and Harbeth models.

Hephaestus

Bit confused. I have seen other forum members using JBL 705P or Neumann KH80/120 for a mid field use e.g. 3.5 - 4 meters listening distance. They seem to be happy. I too am planning to use the smaller monitors for home theatre In living room.
Most monitor manufacturers would call the distance you mentioned "far field".

Generally I have heard studio people talking following distances:
Less than 1.5m near-field
1.5-2.5m mid-field
More than 2.5m far-field

No rules for these distances though...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Horns are lotsa fun. I've had Klipsch and Altec Lansing horns with tangerine green diaphragms. The Altec Lansings had more snap and sizzle.

mmm-hmm...
:)

DSC_7978 (2).JPG

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Don't know where else to ask, and didn't think it warranted its own thread, but I'd like to know what you guys make of these measurements:

http://www.markinton.nl/Scan-Speak Reference Monitor.htm

These are the speakers I'm using right (not my pictures, that blue...oh my...) now and are quite happy with them, but I would like a bit more lower end extension. So its going to be either a subwoofer or floorstanders. Its a 20 year old design, so I am guessing there has to be some improvement to be found. I bought these for 400 euro's about 10 years ago, which I consider a bargain.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Roy Allison - model 3

it is made to be happy in a corner

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have barely tackled it yet. I learned about it from Dave Slagle's blog* and had to have it. My daughter and son-in-law, to my delight, procured a copy for me for Christmas! :) It is a phenomenal encyclopedia, I can tell you that much.

http://hifiheroin.blogspot.com/2019/09/the-horn-loudspeaker-reference-book.html

Anyone interested (if there is anyone sufficiently interested) in the loudspeaker enclosures at the heart of my poor Frankenaltecs can see the Ur- version at:
http://www.wardsweb.org/Billfort/

Mine were built for me by Michael Berg (a woodworker based in Hudson, MA) and are loaded with a pair of Altec 604E Duplexes (of which, at the moment, only the low frequency sections are being used).

DSC_5735 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
604Etest2 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Top Bottom