• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reality Is Overrated When It Comes to Recordings (Article from music Engineer/Producer)

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been listening to a lot of a particular popular pop group and have found that, while playing much of it back on my "high end" 2 channel system reveals some really beautiful production and engineering, it's also just "sounds right" on all manner of lesser gear - smart speaker, desktop computer, car stereo.
Yes, this is exactly the aim of mixers and masterers, and should a) make us more generously appreciative of their professional skills; and b) lay to rest once and for all various misguided notions like the "circle of confusion" and "can't appreciate the product unless we have the same speakers and room as the engineer." The whole point is to make the product "sound good" everywhere, not just in the production environment.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I have a fairly extensive collection of Baroque and Early music myself. But let's not kid ourselves, it's not exactly a mainstream preference.

Well good, I’d hate to think of my preferences as mainstream ;)

It is also where the majority of the music is, however.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I have a fairly extensive collection of Baroque and Early music myself. But let's not kid ourselves, it's not exactly a mainstream preference.
With a good record of those genres, the difference will be that the better the system, the better the detail. However, well-recorded Bach or Monteverdi should sound relatively well even over a cell phone speaker.

Of course, since the dynamic range on those pieces is incredible, a good system should be able to give you a lot more.

F

freemansteve

I'm a big fan of live music, not so much classical any more, as that tends to involve endless cover bands (hahaha), but I have niece who plays in orchestras, so I have a feel for natural instrument sounds.

My friends and I have always played amplified instruments, and the idea of "real, or natural sounding" has no meaning - it either sounds good as you are making the music or it doesn't, and then when you record, it's another struggle to get a mix that 'sounds good'.

I've been going to live gigs for >50 years. I'd say small bands generally do OK, just with individual amps or none, but when you get to a size where you need PAs at volume, then not many seem to get that right. A classic example of clueless live sound was Sisters of Mercy - 2 of 3 gigs I saw were laughable. A big concert can still be fantastic, but I have no burning need to have that sound at home. Any live recordings made 'from the desk' never sound like the actual sound 'on the floor'.

Anyway, the important job for my stereo is to get close to was actually recorded, without adding or subtracting too much. Some recordings sound great, some do not, but I don't want to blame my rig for that, or fiddle with it in a futile and temporary effort to 'improve the music'. And as for a realistic recording of natural instruments, the classical stuff I do play is arguably enhanced by the studio work, IMHO - I've seen enough live classical music to know that some live venues produce a poor sound, and at home, a violin or a cello generally sounds less than optimal, so realism is not necessarily so good.

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose I'm biased as a mainly Classical music listener, but the last thing I want is artistic creativity from record producers, I want the precise portrayal of live performance in a real auditorium. I suppose that's "realism".

To produce the best simulacrum of reality, just might require many microphones and post-recording processing -- I don't know: that's the expertise of recording and mastering engineers. But that expertise is occasionally innovative technical mastery, IMHO, not artistic creativity.

Last edited:

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This article appeared a while back in an on-line audiophile review site. (The type I'd guess most people here wouldn't visit).

I thought it was quite insightful as a message from a recording engineer/mixer/producer to audiophiles wanting naturalistic recordings and realism.
It does cover aspects of discussions here and in most audiophile forums. But it was nice to see it sort of tied up in a bow in an article:

Reality Is Overrated When It Comes to Recordings:

My take: Assuming one agrees with the gist of the article, it does make sense of the approach of those audiophiles (typical of ASR members I think) where you just want to accurately reproduce the recording. All the production choices and effects in so much recorded music is what it is: artistic choices for the most part, and that's what one wants to hear, not some enforced "realism" per se. (But also, if a recording is meant to sound natural, it should come across that way in an accurate system).

Personally I generally agree: I consider all the production choices and artificiality to be part of the artistic content (which they obviously are). And, as cliche as it may be to say, so many of those "audiophile recordings" - minimalist micing, low compression yadda, yadda - often come across as pretty bland. I remember when a pal of mine who was a guitarist in a local artsy pop/folksy band became an audiophile and convinced the band and recording engineers to go for a more audiophile-approved "natural" minimally mic'd presentation. Well, yeah, it sounded a bit more "real" or natural in some aspects, but artistically it took a step back and just sort of "sat there" in that bland way of many audiophile recordings. To my ears it was a failure relative to their previously produced recordings.

(BTW, I'm on record here on being fascinated by live vs reproduced sound, and wanting to nudge my sound a bit more towards "natural/real" in some ways, but not in some fool's errand goal of everything sounding truly real, just enough flavour to taste, without losing the distinctive character of different recordings).

I'm curious about other people's thoughts on the article or subject.
Reality is overrated when it comes to anything. When we accept that even the mathematical based realms of science like the Standard Model are incomplete, therefore not a "true" representation of nature, even though aspects are accurate to 14 decimal places, it still can't reconcile the very small with the very large mechanics of nature. So, is reality the accuracy that we can measure and predict, like Q.E.D. or the fact that it can't explain Dark Matter, Dark Energy or cover the spread consistently in Vegas? The first page of Max Tegmark's book "Our Mathematical Universe", relates his near death experience (reality) in a personal anecdote. Sure, you can take on Feynman, Tegmark, Bell, etc... if you want... I don't have the chops for that. Or as objectivists, we can accept that reality is incomplete and even in light of hyper accurate measurements and predictability, is still subjective. Reality has never been what "we" ever thought it was, otherwise, we'd know what makes the universe tick and what happened a second before the big bang... and we simply don't.

Personally, I agree with the OP as it pertains to reality and recorded sound. My take is... reality is ephemeral... so seize the day.:cool:

Stephen

Hifi is a hoby. It is a highly neurotic activity where the search for perfection is part of a dissatisfaction ultimately well intended because it allows to perpetuate the search for the holy grail namely the perfect reproduction.

If we understand or admit that this perfection is an illusion because as you wrote the production of the HIFI product ( music reproduction) is never perfect and in all the cases the result of technical and artistic choices then the simple fact of experiencing pleasure by listening to the music which we like with our Hifi system should fill us with satisfaction. Still it is necessary to free (or limit) ourself from this obssession of purity or perfection, it is in many fields the origin of the evil and sufferings. That said it is also a motivator of progression and our everyday life is (maybe) better today because people are obsessed by perfection (there is case to see the constant improvement of DACs).

But I don't think that people had less pleasure than us to listen to grammophones more than 100 years ago.

So, we listen to non-perfect recordings with non-perfect HiFI systems in non-perfect rooms, in non-perfect conditions with non-perfect ears... Alleluia, enjoy.

LightninBoy

I suppose I'm biased as a mainly Classical music listener, but the last thing I want is artistic creativity from record producers, I want the precise portrayal of live performance in a real auditorium. I suppose that's "realism".

To produce the best simulacrum of realism, just might require many microphones and post-recording processing -- I don't know: that's the expertise of recording and mastering engineers. But that expertise is occasionally innovative technical mastery, IMHO, not artistic creativity.
I think its fair to seek out recordings that strive to capture that realism. I know when I finally acquired a nice system in a dedicated space I appreciated that style of recording much more and reached more frequently for those recordings. So if that's the standard you apply to the recordings you seek to playback, there are no issues.

The issues come when one tries to apply the standard of realism to the playback system across all recordings.

Robin L

Master Contributor
Absolutely. The one great musical innovation of the 20th century was the concept of ‘the studio as an instrument’, which evolved with the introduction of tape recording. One of the great early pioneers of this was Joe Meeks, followed closely by Phil Spector, George Martin and Brian Wilson.

The last century featured many experiments in changing musical forms, like serialism and twelve-tone, but SaaI actually made the music sound better, and rapidly became obligatory for anyone who wanted to sell lots of records. Pure acoustic recording techniques really have little to offer outside small ensemble works playing historical music.
I'd say the true innovator of studio as instrument was Les Paul, the first to master overdubbing:

Here's a demo of how it's done:

Last edited:

LightninBoy

I've been going to live gigs for >50 years. I'd say small bands generally do OK, just with individual amps or none, but when you get to a size where you need PAs at volume, then not many seem to get that right. A classic example of clueless live sound was Sisters of Mercy - 2 of 3 gigs I saw were laughable. A big concert can still be fantastic, but I have no burning need to have that sound at home. Any live recordings made 'from the desk' never sound like the actual sound 'on the floor'.
Agree. The best rock live band sounds I've heard have been where only the vocals are amplified through the PA. It only works for smallish venues, but man, nothing beats a truly live cranked marshal stack.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I extensively recorded [mostly concerts] Baroque/Early music as the recording engineer for the San Francisco Early Music Society, a decade in the 1990s. This kind of music is usually best recorded with an ORTF pair like Neumanns or Schoeps [the Colette series is about as good as it gets for harpsichords], and the only real adjustment one has is microphone location and angle. Very small movements of the microphone stand made noticeable, audible differences. But other than positioning the microphone stand and selecting the microphones, there isn't all that much one has to do to get first rate results with a minimalist technique like this. Orchestra or choral recordings usually need room microphones as well [I used small diaphragm omni condensers] and sometimes I'd use a few additional spot microphones, but purist techniques mean a lot less microphones and manipulation of the recording than in pop productions. I think part of the reason music like Baroque chamber music and Chamber Jazz is associated with "audiophile" sound is that it's easier to record and play back. Rock, however, is heavily manipulated to sound good on the type of gear it's likely to be listened on. I've noticed a lot of complaints about Adele's productions. However, my sense is that she is the first superstar of the Smartphone era, and her recordings are intended to sound good over the speakers of smartphones. Bach mostly will sound like crap over the speaker of a smartphone.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I disagree with the title. ilusion is overrated. a natural sound sounds amateurish.........only in the conext of milions of unaturaly enhanced sounds.

I just watched this video that demonstrates how stupid "sound design" essentialy is:
the guy breaks the sounds intentionaly, and than partialy tries to fix it afterwards. come on.

give me natural sound all day.....and pop music sounds broken.

Tinder pictures are not beautiful...they are strange. just take your eyes of the screen from time to time

MCH

Major Contributor
Virtually all the music i ever listen is far from being four guys playing in a room, and even the most casual fan knows that, no surprises and no false expectations there. And to be honest, i never felt this was an issue for anyone.

However, i don't share either this stereotype of the band that without all the production tricks would sound bad, or bland. And we have zillions of hours of "live in the studio" recordings from any relevant band on the planet, a la "live at the bbc" but most often not precisely at the bbc... They all will have at least some eq, no doubt, but many don't have much more than that. And sometimes those recordings sound great, fresh, immediate, you can really feel you are there, much more than with the "official version".

That the Beach Boys alone would never had made a Pet Sounds alone? Sure, but many many bands are well trained competent musicians that only need their instruments and some sort of recording media (well and maybe a few drinks) to leave all of us with the mouth wide open.

That they want to sound greater than life and the crude stuff doesn't make it beyond a b-side? Also makes sense. As Miles Davis supposedly said "if i wanted those mutherfuckers to listen to this i would have released it myself" :D

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Then there’s the vast genre of constructed electronic music that often doesn’t include a traditional “musician playing an instrument” at all.
A genre I happen to love very much. I will often listen to Steely Dan and then let some Pitch Black roll through. I am often having to defend electronica to people who feel that it isn't music at all and any idiot with a computer and a samples library can make good electronica. I have consistently challenged these critics to put their money where their mouth is and create electronic music that others enjoy. To this point, nobody has taken me up on it. I actually think that I almost now prefer electronic music.

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s a pretty big “outside”, and where I like to spend most of my listening time.
You might like to spend time there, but by what measure is it big?

Top Bottom