• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

"Reaction" Videos (Youtube)

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some generally haven’t heard the music (I teach ~150 high school seniors, I guarantee less than 20 know who Johnny Cash is, some that have may likely be due to the movie by Phoenix & Witherspoon).

Now, there is for sure people putting on an act. This especially became prevalent when the Queen movie came out:

I do watch some song react channels, but mostly it’s then actually offering something useful like an analysis of the lyrics/themes:

Though I do enjoy the genre ones like “Metal Heads react to Billie Eillish”:

Not really the same, but when Dragon Ball Super was nearing its finale, a town (in Mexico?) live streamed the episodes in the plaza, just look at the crowd it drew despite the fact that everyone could have simply watched it in their own homes, also a testament to the love a ~30 year franchise basically coming to its end is able to gather:
And another form the finale:

Last edited:
OP
Sgt. Ear Ache

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
Here's one of my favorite reaction vids...

Love Rick's reaction to one of my favorite songs. I also love his breakdown of the way it's built!

(I know, it's not technically a reaction vid, lol)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was always perplexed umm, let's say bemused, from a sociological perspective, by the "unboxing" videos.
:)

I've actually needed to watch unboxing videos before.

Sometimes there are no decent (or any) photos of something from a particular angle. At least you usually get a nice 360 degree view of something in an unboxing. They can also be useful to determine exactly what accessories something comes with since they are usually unboxed and enumerated as well.

All that said, as far as I can the primary purpose of unboxing videos seems to be vicarious consumerism...

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
The Youtube algorithm is funny. I've gone through a few cycles where I've been thrown a lot of one type of video for a while, then they stop and something else bubbles to the surface for a while. Then something else...until it eventually rotates back to the beginning and I'm like "Oh yeah! I remember when I was seeing all these videos 6 months ago!"

Welcome to the club, "real" Italian reacts to Americans eating spaghetti with meatballs (it's fettuccini with meatballs you idiots). I highly recommend the pro/anti Musk youtubers reacting to each other.

Everyone here must get Rick's videos in their recommendations.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I was always perplexed umm, let's say bemused, from a sociological perspective, by the "unboxing" videos.

Me too. Until I started to use those videos to be able to repack things that I sent back. Number of items and exact position/packaging can easily be seen in these. So even this complete nonsense (my first thought) turned out to be quite useful.

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You guys haven't seen live streamers reacting to other live streamers?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Me too. Until I started to use those videos to be able to repack things that I sent back. Number of items and exact position/packaging can easily be seen in these. So even this complete nonsense (my first thought) turned out to be quite useful.

Another unintentional use!

danadam

What is a review if not an "X reacts to product Y"? ;-)

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Reminded of this little gem...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dare I even mention the topic, but I wish they had presented a pizza to the two Italian ladies with pineapple on it. So we would have had a definitive native reaction to the idea. ;)

JohnBooty

Forum Donor
I find these useful sometimes, for some products.

Not because I care about the packaging. I skip the actual fumbling-with-the-packaging bit. But for some products I like to see how they look and work in a very... unglamorous/unscripted way. Like when some uncoordinated fool is fumbling around with them for his unboxing video.

Obviously this is more useful for some kinds of products than others. It's useful for watches! Not so useful for audio gear.

Loathecliff

I'd watch a video of Amir reacting to the thread where the OP listed the price of his components.

Especially this well known DAC (posted recently) with 'added value' :rolleyes: (I bought a farm for less)
https://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/reference-features/
CNC billet chassis.
Starting with an 65lb plate of ‘Kaiser Select Precision Plate’, material is machined in our own in-house CNC shop. After more than four hours of machining, 60% of the aluminum is removed, resulting in a 18lb finished product. The integration of our CNC shop allows for design optimization to create the best possible product. We use the high quality premium ‘Select’ metal, giving us the best anodized finishes on the market.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
ruh-roh -- we're gettin' kinda meta now.
beware the infinite recursive reaction video...

:cool:

I saw a Poppy video like that.

My one and only actual reaction video watch was a “classical flautist reacts to Jethro Tull.” After her fourth faux-surprised, “He’s singing through it!” I tapped out.

devopsprodude

Some people are just funny/fun to watch. Like the two brothers who do reaction videos to music like Phil Collins' "In The Air Tonight" are very entertaining.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
I saw a Poppy video like that.

My one and only actual reaction video watch was a “classical flautist reacts to Jethro Tull.” After her fourth faux-surprised, “He’s singing through it!” I tapped out.

She's a spitting image of a flautist friend of mine, and I almost lost my coffee the first time I saw it.

My least favorite are Vincenzo and that couple in Maine that criticize endlessly American "Italian" food. Then they start getting into noodles from Asia are not pasta and it becomes time for the off button.

Hiten

More content less substance seems the future (specially for social media). I am given to belive that only view count matters.

Check THIS Reaction to reaction . . . . .
57 million subscribers and 4 million views. Smart Clever guy.
Regards

Top Bottom