• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Reaction music videos

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it like this. You are going to post a video on Youtube where expressions and feelings are to be conveyed. Quite pointless if you post a video where you look like a dead fish. Those who post the videos know this so they allow themselves to "pulled on" with emotions. Maybe overplay in some cases but still quite authentic.

If you see it as an art form (not much art in itself but for the principle, for the sake of the argument) then the same principles apply there as to create a good movie. Different quality levels on those videos. Take them (or not) for what they are. A little entertainment for the moment only.:)

Then there is a big difference between these reaction videos. There are, as suggested in the thread, videos where it is more a matter of analysis of song, composition and so on. For example this:

They vary vastly in quality. One set of reaction videos is a coupla guys bobbing their heads to some rock classics which is reminiscent of at Saturday Night Live's Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell, Night at the Roxbury characters. Then there is Daily Doug who is a professional musician and a professor of musicology who offers insightful critiques. He did an amazing analysis/reaction of Close to the Edge by Yes that shows how good this kind critique can be.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Exactly.:)

Edit:
True reactions, or not? A deep male base has a certain effect on women.
I was at an airport gate some years back and Barry White walked by, greeting people. You could just about hear the gushing sounds from every female crotch in the waiting area as they slid off their seats.

linear diver

For something completely different ... It's a little technical, and Fil goes on a bit, but you can't argue with the performance :)

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I was at an airport gate some years back and Barry White walked by, greeting people. You could just about hear the gushing sounds from every female crotch in the waiting area as they slid off their seats.
Speaking of voice modes. Because we're still on ASR. I saw this, for those who are interested::)

Effects of Four Voice Qualities and Formant Dispersion on Perception of a Female Voice

Stimuli produced by a female speaker with four different voice qualities - modal, girlish, breathy and creaky - were manipulated to have more or less formant dispersion and were rated on four scales (dominance, attractiveness, sexiness and youthfulness) by men and women.

Gender-Difference-in-Rating-of-Voice-Quality-on-Judgments-of-Attractiveness.png

For something completely different ... It's a little technical, and Fil goes on a bit, but you can't argue with the performance :)

I've seen him comment on Auto Tuning:

Last edited:

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hands down my favorite reaction videos come from Rob Squad Reactions.
Why?
1) Most videos are not much longer than 8 min.
2) They are not like most of the other complete idiots doing these reaction videos.
3) They are able to do the videos without all the foul language most seem incapable of doing.
4) They were the typical rap fans as is so common these days it seems. No longer :)
5) They are now completely addicted to the 60's 70's and 80's music,
6) The seem genuine in their appreciation with the music we grew up with, and pretty much agree most of todays so called music sucks compared to the music of yesteryear.

Anyhow, over the past year they have amassed hundreds of videos, so if you have the spare time, i think they are worth giving a listen/watch to.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
my thoughts, exactly....tbh, can't really stand seeing any more of them
I respectfully submit this video then, a reaction of a dude that has heard his album hundreds of times and is a learned man in the music business, not one of those empty heads that do reaction videos for a bit of money.
Granted, the guy is a bit silly, but he knows his stuff.

Top Bottom