• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Re-create harmonics and distortions in digital domain?

laidick

Forum Donor
some people might like the harmonics and distortions created by tube amp, however I don't want to have that component in my analog chain since I like everything to be transparent.
Is there any product / device in the market that would create the same artifacts as a tube amp but in digital domain?
Such that we may have a 'profile' to choose what type of harmonics we like and taste it on the fly by using a simple remote...

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
some people might like the harmonics and distortions created by tube amp, however I don't want to have that component in my analog chain since I like everything to be transparent.
Is there any product / device in the market that would create the same artifacts as a tube amp but in digital domain?
Such that we may have a 'profile' to choose what type of harmonics we like and taste it on the fly by using a simple remote...

There are a myriad of instrument (mainly guitar) effects boxes that add "things" in the digital domain. Look at any professional supply site like Sweetwater Sound for all sorts of boxes. Some even specifically target recreating the sound of tube amps. Not sure about remote control other than a foot switch (but have not looked).

However, I am struggling to reconcile your desire for transparency (bold statement in your post) with your desire to add distortion with an effects box...

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
There are a myriad of instrument (mainly guitar) effects boxes that add "things" in the digital domain. Look at any professional supply site like Sweetwater Sound for all sorts of boxes. Some even specifically target recreating the sound of tube amps. Not sure about remote control other than a foot switch (but have not looked).

However, I am struggling to reconcile your desire for transparency (bold statement in your post) with your desire to add distortion with an effects box...

Thanks.

Just to be clear, well the idea is have something that is flexible to control and manipulate easily(such as AB test), so that I can try and see what I like, for free (by software), and all my gear just need to be as transparent as possible.( E.g. smsl m400+ ahb2)

Without that, if I want to try, I have to buy and swap the gear very often and seems no way to reliably tell what sound I like (especially hard to do AB test).

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
These days, if you have some sort of computer-based system, you can buy software plug-ins to color the sound. I have not looked at something like Audacity in years but it may also be able to do what you want. Control may be an issue... Hopefully others with more experience can comment. I had tubes in my system through the 1980's into the 1990's but have gotten away from them, and even then my goal was more one of less distortion rather than more.

Edit: Totally forgot about DISTORT -- see @pozz's post.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I think the way to do this btw is to generate a wav file using DISTORT and then using the ABX comparator in foobar, which will spit out your results for you.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
I think the way to do this btw is to generate a wav file using DISTORT and then using the ABX comparator in foobar, which will spit out your results for you.
Yeah exactly , I will try that out. Thanks

hyperplanar

If you’re looking for something that works in real-time, you can use iZotope Ozone Exciter. It’s a very popular VST plug-in used for music production, and has various modes such as tape/tube/triode/dual triode and multiband functionality. Load it up in any music player that supports VSTs and off you go. I use it a lot to add thickness or brightness to tracks while mixing.

If you intend to add some slight tube color, try starting with a single band (encompassing the entire frequency range) on the tube setting, oversampling switched on, with a strength of 0.5-2.0 and a mix of 100%.

OP
laidick

laidick

Forum Donor
If you’re looking for something that works in real-time, you can use iZotope Ozone Exciter. It’s a very popular VST plug-in used for music production, and has various modes such as tape/tube/triode/dual triode and multiband functionality. Load it up in any music player that supports VSTs and off you go. I use it a lot to add thickness or brightness to tracks while mixing.

If you intend to add some slight tube color, try starting with a single band (encompassing the entire frequency range) on the tube setting, oversampling switched on, with a strength of 0.5-2.0 and a mix of 100%.

Wow, yes I am looking for real time.
Thanks for the suggestion!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks.

Just to be clear, well the idea is have something that is flexible to control and manipulate easily(such as AB test), so that I can try and see what I like, for free (by software), and all my gear just need to be as transparent as possible.( E.g. smsl m400+ ahb2)

Without that, if I want to try, I have to buy and swap the gear very often and seems no way to reliably tell what sound I like (especially hard to do AB test).

Ah ha, you want to know how much seasoning you like in your sound! Life was so much easier (and probably also worse) when you just had treble and bass knobs on your amp! ( I always preferred "bypass")

Top Bottom