• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA versus Coax , explain me that ....

MCH

Major Contributor
I have cut many interconnects over the years (always very cheap generic ones) and i would say that most often (always?) I have found this construction, that i would call coaxial:

Screenshot_20220626-101847_Chrome.jpg

(The peeled conductor goes around the red cable)
For sure these, that nobody would call coaxial, also exist, but in my experience they are more rare, specially the second one:

Screenshot_20220626-101921_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220626-101947_Chrome.jpg

The one that Amir reviewed linked above... i don't know, but i would expect that if you cut it it would be like the one in my first picture.
My 2cents.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is what I assume a generic RCA cable is, because I haven't had the inclination to cut a bunch of them open myself:

I have cut many interconnects over the years (always very cheap generic ones) and i would say that most often (always?) I have found this construction, that i would call coaxial:

Screenshot_20220626-101847_Chrome.jpg

(The peeled conductor goes around the red cable)
Assuming that the neutral conductor is just a shield wrapped around the signal conductor, you now have what one could call coax.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
This is what I assume a generic RCA cable is, because I haven't had the inclination to cut a bunch of them open myself:
Try it. Having actual experience is useful.

Audiofire

Forum Donor
Try it. Having actual experience is useful.
I can of course agree that actual experience is useful yet, I only have a few generic RCA cables, and they all have "figure 8" design (it is externally visible that there are two separately insulated wires).

The images on wikihow show solid core conductors and one image has 4 conductors for one audio channel, which isn't normal or needed, but the idea was that there are two separately insulated wires. Since I haven't cut a bunch of different RCA cables open of the ones that are on the market, I made an assumption about what the normal (most used) design is that might or might not be correct (hard to know).

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I can of course agree that actual experience is useful yet, I only have a few generic RCA cables, and they all have "figure 8" design (it is externally visible that there are two separately insulated wires).
The "figure 8" of generic RCA cables is two coaxial cables side by side. Sacrifice one just for educational purposes.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The "figure 8" of generic RCA cables is two coaxial cables side by side. Sacrifice one just for educational purposes.
Yup. There seems to be confusion in some parts about a single rca cable and a cheap joined up pair.

I'll find a cheapo bundled pair myself and sacrifice one too. For science

Audiofire

Forum Donor
No worries, I took my assumption about RCA design for granted and refrain from now on. I have obtained some vintage turntables and an LCR meter for servicing other vintage equipment. Will probably replace those phono cables with a shorter one that has low and known capacitance, so that those turntables I wanted to try are good for resale.

I have also planned to share servicing on YouTube and forums, both for buyer protection and to get help with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom