• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA to XLR cables - quality and can you damage monitor?

mrmojo

I am looking at getting some speakers which only have XLR inputs, however my DAC has RCA out and not XLR (topping DX3 pro).

I'd rather avoid buying a new DAC with XLR outputs, so a few questions:

If I get a RCA to XLR male to male cable

1) Will the sound quality be significantly worse?
2) Can I damage the speakers with such a setup (RCA to XLR)?

Thanks.

BenjaminB

1) worse than what? Your speakers (amplifiers in those) are then likely balanced, feeding these with unbalanced will result in an input signal lowered by 6 dB (compared to what is expected).

2) The "best" way to connect a RCA based pre-amp to XLR power amp is using a XLR cable terminated with a RCA connector. If the cables are not long (whatever that is) a RCA (female) to XLR (male) may work very well. And no, no damage to the speakers or the amplifiers in the speakers - if the contacts are correctly connected. You will get "lower volume" as stated above.

3) there are other solutions to convert from RCA to XLR, passive (as transformers) and active (one such box was reviewed here on ASR). Transformers have issues with frequency response, active solutions introduce a new component in the signal path, the SNR will suffer in any case. If the loss of 6 dB is significant you may consider one of these solutions, to the price of some loss in SNR (the ASR review indicated that the SNR loss was not so dramatic but each to their own ...)

//BB

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am looking at getting some speakers which only have XLR inputs, however my DAC has RCA out and not XLR (topping DX3 pro).

I'd rather avoid buying a new DAC with XLR outputs, so a few questions:

If I get a RCA to XLR male to male cable

1) Will the sound quality be significantly worse?
2) Can I damage the speakers with such a setup (RCA to XLR)?

Thanks.
No and
No.

Just get decent quality ready made cables from eg Amazon or Thomann or whatever dealer is near by. Nothing special or uber expensive required.

kongwee

Major Contributor
You can hear the sonic difference using adapter but you won't damage the speaker.

Aldoszx

I am using such cables without any problem so far !

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe he is thinking of the increased chance of a ground loop causing hum or noise. Of course many times that does not happen going RCA to XLR, but it is possible.
Yes of course that is possible. Assuming the worst many things can happen ;-)

AudiOhm

This is just me, but when I am looking for a piece of equipment I will only purchase what fits into my system without adapting.

If the speakers do not meet your cable input requirements, look for some that do, there are so many products in the Audio market.

Don't get fixated on ones that don't fit your system.

What speaker are you looking at?

Ohms

OP
M

mrmojo

This is just me, but when I am looking for a piece of equipment I will only purchase what fits into my system without adapting.

If the speakers do not meet your cable input requirements, look for some that do, there are so many products in the Audio market.

Don't get fixated on ones that don't fit your system.

What speaker are you looking at?

Ohms
genelec 8030c. I went to long and mcaude, listened to a bunch of near field monitors, and realized I like the sound of 5 inch drivers. The size and sound of the 8030c appeal to me.

Holmz

Major Contributor
genelec 8030c. I went to long and mcaude, listened to a bunch of near field monitors, and realized I like the sound of 5 inch drivers. The size and sound of the 8030c appeal to me.

Is ^that^ supposed to sound as moronic as it looks?

• Does it have something to do with baffle stops, and diffraction?
  • Or do you actually hear the 125mm?
  • Or is this something about lighter ones are faster?

Top Bottom