• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Sucks - Why Do We Use It?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What's the next trick, putting paper clips in the power points or charging up a mains rated capacitor and chucking it to your party guests to play hot potato?

Our "new guy" initiation at work was to put a turn of 1 amp fuse wire around the end of an extension cord.

When he plugged it in, it made a nice flash, pop, and some smoke, and left an indelible black smudge on the receptacle plastic.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
One guy got back at me, though.

Had to give a little job progress demonstration to The Customer.

At the end:

Me: "Do you have any questions?"

Customer: "Yes! Why is there a chicken leg on the keyboard?"

Shit happens in Louisiana...

---

I've been cleaning out the garage and storage, all kinds of things have popped up.

I found this sticker from that Telco. A bigger version was on the doors of all their trucks in 1984 (no longer, of course):

1543123309159.png

Ha...

RCA... Registered Coon Ass... Just noticed.

I guess the post remains on topic after all.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
One guy got back at me, though.

Had to give a little job progress demonstration to The Customer.

At the end:

Me: "Do you have any questions?"

Customer: "Yes! Why is there a chicken leg on the keyboard?"

Shit happens in Louisiana...

Some kind of freaky voodoo curse?

Eaten, or like with feathers and all?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s should have been out in 1970 to make a difference, a very small percentage of humans still use anything with RCA in the first place ?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s should have been out in 1970 to make a difference, a very small percentage of humans still use anything with RCA in the first place ?

Really? I mean, obviously the proportion of the world's population with anything resembling "separates" hifi is pretty small, but within that subset, the proportion with some RCA connections must be pretty damn high. Then you have the folks simply using RCA from TV to amp/ soundbar etc either because no spare HDMI or an old amp.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
These new connectors are about balanced connector footprint size. Well (TRS) 1/4 inch and (TRS) 3.5mm mini connectors have been around for a long time.
Their rational against 3.5mm mini is not very good. A problem with these connectors might be confusion between unbalanced stereo and balanced mono.
BNC has a problem of confusion between 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm connector mismatch. These new connectors will have the same problem.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
These new connectors are about balanced connector footprint size. Well (TRS) 1/4 inch and (TRS) 3.5mm mini connectors have been around for a long time.
Their rational against 3.5mm mini is not very good. A problem with these connectors might be confusion between unbalanced stereo and balanced mono.
BNC has a problem of confusion between 50 Ohm and 75 Ohm connector mismatch. These new connectors will have the same problem.
4.4mm jack and plugs are getting much cheaper. I really disliked 4.4mm around 2017 because it's proprietary and expensive. Now I am even considering to use it to replace the bulky 3pin XLR connectors.

Top Bottom