• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA splitter colors

spaghetti

Why most RCA splitter cable colors are male black/female red+white? If I want to split a stereo RCA signal from a DAC to add a subwoofer logically I would want 1 white male to 2 white females and/or 1 red male to 2 red females connectors so that I can attach 2 stereo RCA cables. What is the point of marking the male side black and the female sides W + R? Are splitters only intend to manage a mono signal? What happens if I fork each stereo RCA channel to 2 sets of speakers (or a subwoofer and a set of speakers).
RCA Colors.jpg

AudiOhm

The colours are irrelevant, a male to 2 females could be orange to green/blue, they are still wired the same.

Female to male, same colors...
Opposite.jpg

Ohms

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Right for right, white for left. Black is mono. For you case, connect black to DAC output. One adaptor gonna be right, another gonna be left. Red or white will received the same channel output. However, I doubt you are using the right adaptor. As DAC and subwoofer inputs and outputs are using RCA female connector normally. You should used male connector on both end. Of course, you can use them as splitter as you have different length for DAC and sub.

Last edited:

AudiOhm

Maybe they should all be black...

Ohms

Last edited:
OP
spaghetti

spaghetti

Right for right, white for left. Black is mono.
This is why I got confused. I was wondering if there were signal or power limitations in just splitting each channel to 2 different sets of speakers.

kongwee

Major Contributor
This is why I got confused. I was wondering if there were signal or power limitations in just splitting each channel to 2 different sets of speakers.
Normally no problem for splitting line level signal.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The colors are so marked because these cables are primarily intended for connecting stereo devices to mono devices.
It's just a line level splitter, could be mono devices, could be stereo. I primarily use them for mono devices (subs)...maybe to split a signal between a sub and something else, and have the sub sum it to mono. The cable isn't meant to be used to create a mono signal from stereo, tho.

Zek

Major Contributor
The cable isn't meant to be used to create a mono signal from stereo, tho.
It is not stated anywhere, but according to the colors of the connectors (red and white on one side and black on the other side), it indicates that the stereo signal is switched to mono.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I'd get T splitters that are metal and go one male to two female rca. Then use whatever length standard male to male cables you need to go to amp and sub.

Slight downside is you need space behind the dac to accommodate the T shape with cabled attached.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
The colors are so marked because these cables are primarily intended for connecting stereo devices to mono devices.
Not a good plan to 'Y' or 'Wye' two outputs into one input. Each of the outputs will see the other output as a low impedance load.
It sorta works, but it adds distortion.

Why Not Wye?
Dennis Bohn, Rane Corporation
RaneNote 109 written 1991; last revised 4/04

Splitting Signals
Subwoofing in Mono
Unbalanced Summing
Balanced Summing
Output Impedances

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It means that each output is designed for about a 10 k Ohm input load. But in addition it will see the source impedance of the other output (it is about 200 Ohms). Which means that the output is overloaded and distortion will increase.
The except is, if both outputs are playing the same mono signal, than there won't be a difference problem.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It is not stated anywhere, but according to the colors of the connectors (red and white on one side and black on the other side), it indicates that the stereo signal is switched to mono.
You cannot just use a cable for that. You would need a mixer. A mixer could just be resistors used correctly in a passive mixer circuit. But this could split a mono signal into two mono signals.

Gruesome

Forum Donor
That note linked to earlier talks exactly about that. I guess that link went unclicked...

Top Bottom