• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA signal routing/switching for multiple amps from one dac?

Headphonaholic

Ok so this is something I have been curious about for a while. I currently have 2 dacs, a JDS Labs OL Dac and Topping D50. I have an assortment of amps however. I've gotten an RCA splitter initially but my amp collection has grown. I'm currently using a Rolls SS32 that is fed by my D50 to 3 amps. It appears to work relatively well but does seem to have some bleed. What I mean is, if I switch away from the amp I am currently got my headphones plugged into, I can generally still hear the music VERY faintly.

Sooo my question is, how do the rest of you solve this problem? Is there a better way to use one dac with many amps? I realize I could plug and unplug stuff as needed but I like being able to quickly switch amps if I desire. I'm also worried about any signal degradation I maybe introducing with either splitters or this switch box. I choose the D50 because of how well it performs, it would be sad if my crazy routing is muddying the waters.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
It's a really simple thing to do, but to do it to the best possible quality you might want sealed signal relays, but of course can be done with simple manual switch. Not sure why your existing box is suffering crosstalk, it's obviously not a good design.

I don't have any immediate suggestions for an alternative, but if you want to switch inputs and outputs (different dac to different amps) try a search for something like audio switch matrix.

I can build you one for the right price ;)

OP
H

Headphonaholic

Interesting, thanks for the search suggestion. I was searching for switches and such. Wasn't coming up with great alternatives.

It crossed my mind that building one would be the best way to get what I want but I'm a novice when it comes to soldering and understanding circuits. If you're serious maybe we'll have to talk :)

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a better way to use one dac with many amps?

What you are looking for is easily found at Amazon if you search for audio source switch [LINK]

There are a number of choices, from the el cheapo units to audiophile quality British Beresford switches. You will have to rely on Amason customer ratings, because I cannot give you a specific recommendation due to no direct experience h them.

OP
H

Headphonaholic

What you are looking for is easily found at Amazon if you search for audio source switch [LINK]

Easily? I mean yeah, if any switcher will do but the key here is quality. There are lots of A/V switches that look fairly sketchy. The few dedicated audio ones have complaints of crosstalk. I mean this is how I found the Rolls in the first place, which also has crosstalk issues. It had seemed like one of the better options on Amazon. The Beresford seems nice though. I'll have to do more research since it might be the answer.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company

There are a number of choices, from the el cheapo units to audiophile quality British Beresford switches. You will have to rely on Amason customer ratings, because I cannot give you a specific recommendation due to no direct experience h them.
This one from that link has input and output switching

https://www.amazon.com/TC-7240-Rout...532753901&sr=1-9&keywords=audio+source+switch

OP
H

Headphonaholic

Yeah that one looks pretty nice. I'll be taking a closer look at that one.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Beresford line-level RCA switch that we are discussing has one of the highest Amazon review rating averages I've seen for electronics gear with more than 25 reviews . There are 25 five star and two four star ratings. Plus, many of the comments contain useful information, including a report of Mr. Beresford himself doing customer service. Over the decades, I've learned to take hi-fi reviews with a grain of salt, and try to read between the lines. Based on that, if I needed a line-level switchbox, the Beresford is a product that I would not hesitate to buy and have shipped to my very remote location in central America.

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bluestacks? Bluestacks is a software utility that allow one to run Android apps on Windows OS or Mac IOS.

How does that relate to mechanical line-level switching of RCA-terminated audio signal cables between multiple DACs and amplifiers?

Jose Hidalgo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi guys, I'm joining in here.
What if there were several amps (say, 3 or 4) AND 2 pairs of headphones playing at the same time ?
We'd need something with 2 in / 4 out, but with 2 audio signals active at the same time, which probably isn't possible.

So I guess we'd need something like an audio patch bay with at least 6 stereo channels (as many stereo channels as DAC outs + amp ins).
I'm not a patch bay expert, but I guess DACs and Amps would be connected in the back, and everything would be patched manually in the front.
We'd need 6 'Stereo Jack to 2xRCA' cables in the back.
We'd also need 2 short 'stereo Jack to stereo Jack' cables in the front.

Something like this maybe : https://www.thomann.de/fr/art_tpatch.htm

12101822_800.jpg

Plus the back cables : https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_tpy_2003_jrr.htm (available in different lengths, just select the right one)
Plus the patch cables : https://www.thomann.de/fr/the_sssnake_sk369s-03_patchkabel.htm

It looks pretty easy and efficient actually ! :D But maybe there's an easier way ?

Last edited:
Top Bottom