• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA output to XLR input

octavius

Hi guys, can I easily make or buy already finished reduction? I have describe my situation. I have amplifier Kinki EX-M1 which has three analog RCA inputs and one XLR female balanced input. I don't have equipment with XLR outputs and need another RCA. The question is if I make/buy some reduction RCA to XLR male does it work?

I would connect RCA cable for example to TUNER output and another end with XLR to amplifier input.

Is there some problem or suggestions?
Many thanks.

Last edited:

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, it will work. Its just that it will be no longer balanced, thats all. You can buy ready-made RCA->XLR cables. Plenty of them available online. You can also make yourself if you know how to solder.

Just remember that pin 1 and 3 are connected together if you going to DIY.

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, it will work. Its just that it will be no longer balanced, thats all. You can buy ready-made RCA->XLR cables. Plenty of them available online. You can also make yourself if you know how to solder.

Just remember that pin 1 and 3 are connected together if you going to DIY.
Hypex, Bruno Putzeys, recommended the first option as it gave better CMRR performance but, probably does not make much difference.

OP
octavius

octavius

Many thanks escksu You mean like in picture?

Attachments

• 2021-09-28 09_38_32-Amazon.com_ COLICOLY Cinch-Buchse auf XLR-Stecker, Kabeladapter, 2 Stück _...png
    2021-09-28 09_38_32-Amazon.com_ COLICOLY Cinch-Buchse auf XLR-Stecker, Kabeladapter, 2 Stück _...png
    41.3 KB · Views: 540

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
octavius

octavius

Thanks guys for confirmation. I'm happy that I can use all 4 inputs on KINKI amplifier now. :)

Gorgonzola

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
octavius, note that Count Arthur is showing the connections for a two-conductor + shield cable whereas the pircture you found is for a single conductor + shield cable. Both types are common. The instructions are correct in both instance depending on the type of cable.

Virtually any amp with XLR connectors will work with an RCA -> XLR cable, but many amps are optimized to be drive by differential input which one cannot get from a single-ended input with only an RCA->XLR cable. They will usually operate but at -6dB output level; in effect only 1/2 of the amp is amplifying an active signal.

Top Bottom