• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Interlinks: Influence of conductor material. MEASUREMENTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Not my experience, I have a whole thread on blind tests, and there are many others. @BDWoody what say you?

The measurements aren't very interesting. What's interesting is whether those measured differences are *audble*. And that video is horrendous.

Attachments

• RCA Interlinks test. Do you hear a difference - CLOSED.png
    RCA Interlinks test. Do you hear a difference - CLOSED.png
    315.4 KB · Views: 62

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Last time I commented about one of their videos presented here I was accused by them for lack of empathy,cruelty that hurt their feelings as persons,etc.
As if I am such a person and as if they know my story for helping people.
So,I won't comment this time.

(but I may laugh,secretly)
I’ll be glad to. They are either wildly incompetent or wildly dishonest. Possibly both. Anyone taking them seriously should be kept away from sharp objects for their own protection.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They don't want a real test. It would prove them wrong.
Yeah, acknowledging that an Amazon Basics cable works fine is not what they're going for here.

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this thread because I thought there might be something new coming from the subjectivist crowd.

Instead, I find that we're sifting through the same old BS. No real measurements, no fundamentally sound double blind test, just more hand wavy babble about perceived differences.

Stop wasting our time with crap.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just wasted 10 minutes of my life reading this thread because I thought there might be something new coming from the subjectivist crowd.

Instead, I find that we're sifting through the same old BS. No real measurements, no fundamentally sound double blind test, just more hand wavy babble about perceived differences.

Stop wasting our time with crap.
Well, that's more or less what I'm saying, but politely. Clean up the blind test or no sale. But I think my approach is more likely to change minds or get a different result. I dunno, I see why you all call it a waste of time, but this is kind of part of our version of the hobby, isn't it?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, that's more or less what I'm saying, but politely. Clean up the blind test or no sale. But I think my approach is more likely to change minds or get a different result. I dunno, I see why you all call it a waste of time, but this is kind of part of our version of the hobby, isn't it?
Kind of. That test is a tangled mess. Amir tests cables just fine without resorting to pointless step-response gimmicks.

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
It seems that there is not much interest in the thread issue: MEASUREMENTS.

Interestingly, despite my reminder, some comment on other issues, intentionally I suppose, to give rise to closure, I say.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements are silly.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm a firm believer that a bet is a "tax on bullshit".

I have offered before, but I would still be willing to put up $5k to the (501c3) charity of their choice against their results being replicated in a blind test, with conditions agreed upon by someone like @amirm or Archimago and the crew that did this. My own first condition is that a normal, proper-guage, copper cable be included in the test. Other than that, they can include whatever materials they like in alternatives. But I am not the one to referee the bet.

And if you get Beekhuyzen to participate I'll up my offer.

I'm looking forward to my wife and her musician friends running in slack-jawed, saying they can't hear a difference.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This thread is about measurements. If we go into a discussion about the blind test, admins will surely close it, so each one investigates it on their own or watch the Live test video.

It's more like, if you can't provide blind test methodology and/or other support, the mods are likely to just close the thread.

Not my experience, I have a whole thread on blind tests, and there are many others. @BDWoody what say you?

The measurements aren't very interesting. What's interesting is whether those measured differences are *audble*. And that video is horrendous.

Well, the site is about correlating measurements to what may or not be meaningful to the audio enthusiast, not just measurements for their own sake, so I'd certainly like to see more than "Hey look! They measure differently!"

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Coming late to this... Matty has a comment in that link:

"To understand us, many of them [engineers] live in the world of mathematics of Real numbers, unable to understand that there are others, such as Imaginary or Complex ones. You know: Z = R + j X(w)

Always is all R, L and C to them, anything more."

Engineers know that jX(w) is the reactive component represented by L & C (at specific frequency). In other words, the two are equivalent mathematically. It is just simpler for folks to understand concept of inductance and capacitance, because they have real counterparts, as opposed to "imaginary" numbers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cables make a difference when measured. That’s not new. None of it is audible though. I happily listen to my 22 dB SINAD tube amp with my Bose 901 VI’s :)

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Multi test – Influence of conductor material – Silver – Copper – Graphene – Gold?
https://alpha-audio.net/review/mult...nductor-material-silver-copper-graphene-gold/

[ We used the following materials for this test:
  • 1mm solid core Pure silver – 5N – coated – about 35 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Single crystal copper with graphene – 150 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Tinned copper, coated (wax / cloth) – Unknown
  • 0.5mm solid core Gold/Silver (Mundorf) – not coated – 15 Euro per meter
  • Standard DIY lamp wire – copper, stranded – 2 Euros per meter ]
Actually, you can get it much cheaper if you shop around.
I have made some DIY solid core cables. I can get 1mm silver wire for £25 for 3 meter lengths.
I don't know why, and the science is most probably against it, but for headphone cable, single core wire sounded subjectively better to me!
I experimented with conductor material, and found it was immaterial. Even a single wire from a split CAT5 cable was the same as silver.
But I used silver at the end! why?
Because fully annealed pure silver wire (from jewellers supply) was cheap enough and the softest metal, I could find.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Multi test – Influence of conductor material – Silver – Copper – Graphene – Gold?
https://alpha-audio.net/review/mult...nductor-material-silver-copper-graphene-gold/

[ We used the following materials for this test:
  • 1mm solid core Pure silver – 5N – coated – about 35 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Single crystal copper with graphene – 150 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Tinned copper, coated (wax / cloth) – Unknown
  • 0.5mm solid core Gold/Silver (Mundorf) – not coated – 15 Euro per meter
  • Standard DIY lamp wire – copper, stranded – 2 Euros per meter ]

MEASUREMENTS here

View attachment 290637

One of them:

5N Silver solid 1 mm (yellow) vs Mundorf solid gold/silver 0.5 mm (blue)

View attachment 290638
Please measure the impact of these differences in audio band limited signals.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you repeat the square wave test but, you know... in the audio band? It's sort of hard to take this seriously when you say you hear a difference but you need to run square waves at 100khz to measure a difference. It's like saying you can't really appreciate the differences in running shoes until you hit 115kph on the track.

We all suffer from expectation bias you know, you can't get rid of that unless you get rid of the brain and leave the 2 ears behind.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did anyone for a minute think that audio interconnect cables might not test different at radio frequencies?
Still, if you have super-super-super-super tweeters and listen to the unmodulated AM broadcast band...oh nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom