• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA Interlinks: Influence of conductor material. MEASUREMENTS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maty

Major Contributor
Multi test – Influence of conductor material – Silver – Copper – Graphene – Gold?
https://alpha-audio.net/review/mult...nductor-material-silver-copper-graphene-gold/

[ We used the following materials for this test:
  • 1mm solid core Pure silver – 5N – coated – about 35 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Single crystal copper with graphene – 150 Euro per meter (price fluctuates)
  • 1mm solid core Tinned copper, coated (wax / cloth) – Unknown
  • 0.5mm solid core Gold/Silver (Mundorf) – not coated – 15 Euro per meter
  • Standard DIY lamp wire – copper, stranded – 2 Euros per meter ]

MEASUREMENTS here

Block wave test – 5N silver vs. the rest.png

One of them:

5N Silver solid 1 mm (yellow) vs Mundorf solid gold/silver 0.5 mm (blue)

5N-Silver-VS-Mundorf-50-Ohm-out-1-MOhm-in-100-KHz-pulse.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to be clear, these cables are to ship around digital data?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The horizontal scale is 20 ns per division. That means the frequency of the oscillations are in the order of 50 MHz.

View attachment 290644
Oddly, unterminated cables ring. I've rejected technician candidates for not knowing that. Welcome to the internet :rolleyes:

OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
You are right. But the scale is ALWAYS the same.

There are more measurements. L, C and R too.

Impedance

Alle-kabels-Impedance-phase.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a written summary of the blind test methodology? I'd like to see this replicated as I'm more skeptical than you (given your comment on the site that this is dispositive).

Because this video so far is painfully badly done. Several minutes discussing break-in, incoherently. And comparing by youtube audio? With microphones they 'just discovered a problem with one minute before the broadcast'? This is is a bad joke. Do it properly, edit your damn video, release hi-res files for a foobar test (like Archimago). make that *highly* skeptical.

Last edited:
OP
maty

maty

Major Contributor
Is there a written summary of the blind test methodology? I'd like to see this replicated as I'm more skeptical than you (given your comment on the site that this is dispositive).
This thread is about measurements. If we go into a discussion about the blind test, admins will surely close it, so each one investigates it on their own or watch the Live test video.

KSTR

Major Contributor
I feel comparing cables without keeping RLCD-parameters the same is almost as futile as comparing speaker drivers without EQing them to the same target.
OTOH, significant differences in waveforms even with identical small signal linearized RLCD values would suggest some strong nonlinearities, dispersion etc. where we finally could be onto something (naively assuming a successful blind test here, that is). That's the kind of experiment I would have liked to see...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So… “influences”? On what?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep. Their test setup is, let's say, uhm, problematic ;-)
Not for them. They probably drew a crowd of vindicated readers.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If we go into a discussion about the blind test, admins will surely close it.
Not my experience, I have a whole thread on blind tests, and there are many others. @BDWoody what say you?

The measurements aren't very interesting. What's interesting is whether those measured differences are *audble*. And that video is horrendous.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Snake oil all of it. For example: "Call us crazy, but long playback proved to make a difference." as in burn in. Yea I call them crazy. The blind test was a joke.
"the measurement in terms of frequency response and phase shows nothing. And this while differences in timbre are indeed noticeable."
And some ridiculous conclusions: "It is striking how different this cable sounds. Rhythmically it is different, but tonally there is also something that makes this cable characteristic:"
A cable changed the rhythm, the Noble prize for physics is in the mail!

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Snake oil all of it. For example: "Call us crazy, but long playback proved to make a difference." as in burn in. Yea I call them crazy. The blind test was a joke.
"the measurement in terms of frequency response and phase shows nothing. And this while differences in timbre are indeed noticeable."
And some ridiculous conclusions: "It is striking how different this cable sounds. Rhythmically it is different, but tonally there is also something that makes this cable characteristic:"
A cable changed the rhythm, the Noble prize for physics is in the mail!
Well they tried. They should send the cables to Archimago or one of the members here to set up a proper file-based blind trial. I'm sure they would like to see it replicated ASAP.

btw, did they say what guage the zipline is? I couldn't tell anything from the Youtube sound, but there's some assertion of a consistent result here, and everything else is some weird material.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Last time I commented about one of their videos presented here I was accused by them for lack of empathy,cruelty that hurt their feelings as persons,etc.
As if I am such a person and as if they know my story for helping people.
So,I won't comment this time.

(but I may laugh,secretly)

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, they didn’t! It’s the usual Alpha Audio pseudoscience. It’s deliberate and it’s disgusting.
I don't know anything about these people beyond the godawfulness of their video. But I'm in favor of people, particularly those who still think 'burn-in' is a thing, performing blind tests and seeking replication. Even if I have a strong idea of the likely outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom