• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA interconnect shield connection: to source or receiving end?

KSTR

Major Contributor
But that design is widely and commonly used for decades and by variety of brands from snake oil sellers to cheap "just connect ur s**t" B-category brands
Think about what this tells us about the "audio cable industry"... those "engineers" seldom have a clue about electronics, let alone signal integrity. Well, they might have a clue but the markting needed a unique selling point, then mimicked by the copycats.

wwenze

Major Contributor
One can argue not to use RG59 or RG58, but rather use the cheapest cable, since these offer the highest attenuation to RF which is noise. ;)

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I'm not that arrogant to be satisfied with saying "hah they're fools with no physics knowledge".
I'm not saying they are ignorant either. What would say is that they are following the marketing and producing a certain product which will make them money, whether the product is technically correct or not. The audio field is notorious for this type of thing. I know. I work in audio manufacturing.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
One of my favorite cables for unbalanced audio is RG-174 which is relatively thin and BNC connectors can easily be crimped to it. I use BNC connectors for all the gear which I make for myself and retrofit the connectors to many of my amplifiers.

Top Bottom