• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RCA input, Bluetooth, USB DAC, XLR out with volume control?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The S/O is getting into audio of late, particularly vinyl. She fell in love with a pair of Focal Shape 40s. Not my personal choice but she really likes the amount of treble, wide dispersion and classy veneer over monochrome Genelec/Neumann/Kali. No amount of me pontificating about directivity matching, diffraction, smoothness and distortion will change that.

She also bought a Pro-ject Primary E with built-in phono preamp so it has a line output. But the Focal has no gain/volume control. The simplest solution is a RCA to RCA passive preamp. But an unused XLR input on the speaker grates on me a little. Plus, I convinced her that it makes very little sense to get nice speakers only for vinyl (she also listens to Spotify). I suggested an XLR-out DAC with volume control, USB input and Bluetooth so she can stream Spotify from either phone or laptop.

Are there any such DAC/preamps that also have an RCA line input so I can integrate the turntable? Alternatively, are there XLR output DAC/preamps with XLR analog pre input, Bluetooth and USB, so I can use an RCA-XLR cable for the turntable? And can I just confirm that RCA line output to XLR line input with an adaptor cable is unlikely to cause any hum or buzz?

Budget is, say, well-engineered Chinese DAC money - so in the range of something you'd find from Topping/SMSL. I can readily access most Chinese brands, as well as anything from Thomann.

I thought about pro audio interfaces as well, but I'm not sure any from Focusrite/MOTU and their ilk will have Bluetooth input.

Thanks!

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So after some research I've expanded my options to stacks:

Topping BC3 optical out
Modius
Magnius

Or

Topping BC3 optical out
Topping E50
Topping L50.

My S/O loves Geshelli wood cases though. @Geshelli is it possible for you guys to do a line preamp with XLR and RCA inputs, and XLR output, without headphone out? She'd be thrilled to have a wooden case Geshelli stack with the J2 plus a preamp.

Otherwise, the closest one-box option I have seen is the Matrix Mini-i 3, but it's way too overkill because I don't need Ethernet or Roon, SPDIF or optical. And I'd like to keep it around 500, tops.

MCH

Major Contributor
I am only aware of the matrix audio mini i pro 3 and minidsp flex, unless you go even more expensive options. What about a cheap adc and a regular dac?

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am only aware of the matrix audio mini i pro 3 and minidsp flex, unless you go even more expensive options. What about a cheap adc and a regular dac?

I am seriously considering the Flex, especially since I can add Dirac and the UMIK later. But we don't really need full-fledged streaming capability. Plus, I'd still need to go RCA to balanced TRS - which means using an adaptor cable.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
I am seriously considering the Flex, especially since I can add Dirac and the UMIK later. But we don't really need full-fledged streaming capability. Plus, I'd still need to go RCA to balanced TRS - which means using an adaptor cable.
I believe the flex unbalanced has unbalanced analog input, but well, you loose the balanced outputs.
What flex does not have is streaming capabilities.

Top Bottom