• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raw driver reviews with measurements?

Anyone else interested in seeing ASR add raw driver reviews with measurements?

• Yes

• No

• Ignorance is bliss.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Albrecht47

ASR already has the required equipment perhaps with the exception of a IEC baffle but that's an easy afternoon build.

I think such objective reviews would be of great benefit to the DIY sector of the audio community.

Katji

Major Contributor
ASR is one person, + community including some who do similar/related tests.

OP
Albrecht47

Albrecht47

@hardisj has that section of the testing very well taken care of already. Check for his contributions and tests of raw drivers and speakers.

Good to know, thank you. Can you please provide a link? I searched his reviews and didn't find any of drivers. There is also no driver option in the Review Index drop down menu.

Clipboard01.jpg

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Good to know, thank you. Can you please provide a link? I searched his reviews and didn't find any of drivers. There is also no driver option in the Review Index drop down menu.

View attachment 136654
They have not been entered yet. For now, go to @hardisj's profile and click on find threads.

Colonel7

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@hardisj has that section of the testing very well taken care of already. Check for his contributions and tests of raw drivers and speakers.
I disagree on this. He does a great job with it but there are thousands of drivers. If other members would like to do audioxpress or Erin klippel style ones that would be great. Just having people post their own on and off axis and T/S parameters with a consistent methodology that's widely used is super helpful. There's no need to get it approved by ASR community;just post New threads for each driver measured in the DIY section. Erin and napilopez started driver and speaker measurements that way although they've been measuring at least a few years to a decade.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer

View attachment 136654

Meh. My reviews never get promoted to the front page of the site and I don't get my NFS measurements listed in the master index (even when I have no affiliate links in them). It makes me cry myself to sleep at night. :D :D

Seriously, though, go to my site (listed in my signature). I have way more posted there than I do here, on the driver front.

Troels Gravesen, Zaph, Mark K and Hi-Fi Compass are all great resources for raw driver measurements as well. However, I am the only person other than Voice Coil Magazine who provides Klippel measurements for the IEC standard Xmax derivation.

Last edited:
OP
Albrecht47

Albrecht47

I disagree on this. He does a great job with it but there are thousands of drivers. If other members would like to do audioxpress or Erin klippel style ones that would be great. Just having people post their own on and off axis and T/S parameters with a consistent methodology that's widely used is super helpful. There's no need to get it approved by ASR community;just post New threads for each driver measured in the DIY section. Erin and napilopez started driver and speaker measurements that way although they've been measuring at least a few years to a decade.

Klippel driver measurements are of course nice to have but I agree that posts here with on/off axis, T/S, THD etc. are also valuable.

The challenge could be measurement setup and equipment consistency. For example, test wall dimensions, back side test baffle profile, measurement distance, measurement rig calibration. Having said that, likely still better than no measurements. Guidelines and suggested measurement post data would of course mitigate these potential inconsistencies.

OP
Albrecht47

Albrecht47

I get no respect here. My reviews never get promoted to the front page of the site and I don't get my NFS measurements listed in the master index. It makes me cry myself to sleep at night. :D :D

Seriously, though, go to my site (listed in my signature). I have way more posted there than I do here, on the driver front.

Troels Gravesen, Zaph, Mark K and Hi-Fi Compass are all great resources for raw driver measurements as well. However, I am the only person other than Voice Coil Magazine who provides Klippel measurements for the IEC standard Xmax derivation.

Great website and measurement data you have there! Wish we could have a central database with everyone's measurements and be able to send drivers in for test as Amir does with eqiupment.

tomtoo

Major Contributor

ASR already has the required equipment perhaps with the exception of a IEC baffle but that's an easy afternoon build.

I think such objective reviews would be of great benefit to the DIY sector of the audio community.

@amirm measures elektronics, headphones and speakers, thats already a lot. @hardisj measures speakers and chassis what is also great. So i not see why @armirm should start with chassis. Even he is amazing, he is just a one man show. So i think if @hardisj is in to this is absolutly ok.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Great website and measurement data you have there! Wish we could have a central database with everyone's measurements and be able to send drivers in for test as Amir does with eqiupment.

That's not something I think I'll ever do, to be honest. I have been measuring drivers for about a decade. Well over 100 at this point. It would be nice to go back and put them all in a database but I just don't prioritize that. Plus, I'd have to go back to the wayback machine and pull down my old reviews from my old site before the server went poo-poo.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Also, to be honest, I just don't have much interest in testing drivers anymore. For the most part, you can look at the size and know what you need to know. The only interesting aspect is when a new driver comes along that expands the typical bandwidth from low to beaming point. The top is calculated by (effective) diameter so no magic there. The low end is where stuff gets interesting. But, even still, I don't see much excitement or revelation there. I find the finished product to be more intriguing.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
and I don't get my NFS measurements listed in the master index.
They are there (well, the ones before the NFS, they are still working on adding all the newer ones), but you have to select yourself from the drop-down:
5485FB69-EBEC-4660-B9A9-6E037F6F4D81.jpeg

______
Since I got my new computer I’ve been working on redoing all my graphs and some of the formulas/layout; I plan on redoing all my spreadsheets for every NFS measured speaker (your older reviews where the measurements angles are in separate files is a PITA, so I’ll get to those if I can).

Really tricky as I’m using Google Sheets so customizability/features are limited (and it looks terrible on mobile).

Here’s the Revel F228Be which I am using as my master format. If anyone has anything to chime in on (like maybe formatting is screwed up on your non-mobile screen), just let me know (and yes, I decided even passive speakers will have their SPL normalized to 0dB like I have been doing for powered speakers, makes them much easier to compare, I did find out how to add sensitivity text to the chart though).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...dLQd48WxEjWPWuV0hVqM6JJPjOodvA3MognIN/pubhtml

Hardest part is getting them to be the correct scaling, I had to physically hold a ruler up to my screen, which is even more difficult as the published charts are slightly different in size then they are in my workbook, and the charts don't auto-center either so I had to make sure they are all centered.

Last edited:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
They are there (they are still working on adding them all in), but you have to select yourself from the drop-down:
View attachment 136927

Those are pre-NFS. None of those are from this year. I got the NFS in January 2021. Which is why I specifically said "and I don't get my NFS measurements listed in the master index".

To be clear, it doesn’t bother me. I made the smiley face to express that. That’s just the way it is. ;)

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
Meh. My reviews never get promoted to the front page of the site and I don't get my NFS measurements listed in the master index (even when I have no affiliate links in them). It makes me cry myself to sleep at night. :D :D

Zaph, was my "Go to" driver measurement site, until he decided to "retire"...

Top Bottom