• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rats for better sound quality

Wombat

Master Contributor
Improvement on the Pink Panthers? :facepalm:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No good for my place. My cat would be all over them, biting holes in the rat skin and letting all that precious sand into the innards of my gear.

They clearly have not considered cats. Other than that, and the price, I like them just for the fun factor. Audio Rats. I like it.

mnemonix

3. The magnetic characteristics that make-up the ‘Vibb eaters’ granular mixture can have a very positive impact on the fields generated in and around the loudspeaker itself.

I was prepared to consider that damping vibrations in speakers might be beneficial, subject to verification from technically qualified experts, but when I got to this the bullshit alarm sounded I'm afraid.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like drugs. Just say NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it were Schitt audio, we'd be talking about Turds. Bag of shite to dampen vibration. Please, the world doesn't need this.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I'm prepared to say that in certain situations, Audio Rats could actually help.

Say, on top of a resonant perspex turntable lid which is closed when playing loudly over speakers. We've all surely heard that problem in our younger years when playing records.

Or a particularly sensitive CD player, the Audio Rats on the top panel could help for sure and stop it mistracking particularly on wooden floors. I've recommended a heavy cushion to friends in the past on an older machine to buy some more time.

They would also hold down any covers you put on top of gear to keep the dust off.

They would certainly help with some of this lightweight desktop HiFi gear from having the cables pull it off the desk! I just like the whimsy factor. Thanks to @magicscreen for posting. :)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Just love their point #3 nonsense:

3. The magnetic characteristics that make-up the ‘Vibb eaters’ granular mixture can have a very positive impact on the fields generated in and around
the loudspeaker itself.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
A brick works too. This is hilarious: "The vibrations and fields that are generated in the speaker box are most intense at the top of the speaker where the energy cannot go any further." So if the energy cant go past the top of the speaker why do i need an absorber? If you hire someone to write your marketing lies find someone with an ounce of logic. And If your speaker enclosure vibrates, its a lousy speaker, spend the rat money on new ones.

Reactions: GDK

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Oh Jesus, what I have done to you now ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport)- indeed good for audio.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Darkos already done this with door stops...

I agree with John, if they were cats instead of rats they'd get WAF sales alone.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was prepared to consider that damping vibrations in speakers might be beneficial, subject to verification from technically qualified experts, but when I got to this the bullshit alarm sounded I'm afraid.

Damping vibrations for speakers has always been beneficial. Newton's 3rd law, when your voice coil moves, equal and opposite force is applied to the magnets which is attached to the speaker housing and its mounted onto the cabinet...So this makes the entire speaker cabinet move back and forth in opposite direction of the voice coil.

Cabinet movement is not desired as it cancels out the movement of the voice coil (coil moves forward and cabinet moves backwards and vice versa). So you want the cabinet to move as little as possible and the voice coil to move as much as possible.

Of course there is resonant but I will leave it out.

And F=ma.... The more mass you have, the less acceleration you get. Thats why speakers are placed on heavy stands and fill them with sand, use spikes etc.....

Top Bottom