• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RASPDIGI LTE LVDS V2 Streamer I2S LVDS HDMI Allo Kali Reclocker

OP
G

GentleEars

gvl, I think you're right.

Here's the list of sampling rate displayed on DX7 Pro's LCD with different devices feeding its USB port.

44.1kHz: Windows 10 PC of recent vintage with all updates applied, playing Spotify.
48kHz: Raspberry Pi 4 running latest Raspbian Lite with raspotify to emulate Spotify Connect.
192kHz: Samsung Galaxy S9+, running Spotify.

Of these, the best sounding device is clearly the Windows 10 PC producing 44.1kHz content. It has more detail and depth than the other two devices producing up-sampled data.

How can I stop the upsampling by raspotify on Raspberry Pi, and Samsung Galaxy S9+?

gvl

Major Contributor
I doubt the differences you think you hear are due to resampling. Make sure the volume is set to 100%. On Windows the fact you see 44.1kHz is just a coincidence, this is what your audio device is set to in sound settings. Spotify is notoriously incapable of sending audio direct to the audio device, it sends it through the OS sound system where it may get resampled to the rate that the audio device set to. Not necessarily something to worry about but it is less than ideal. Not familiar with the Raspbian Lite and its Spotify client, probably same situation there - you need to somehow set the audio device in the OS to 44.1k there to at least match the sampling rates but the signal will still go through the OS sound mixer, I think. One way to play Spotify at its native sampling is through a Chromecast Audio device using optical output to a DAC.

As for Samsung Galaxy I don't think you can do anything about it, Android will upsample to the max rate it can that's reported by the DAC it can support, usually the multiple of 48kHz. You might be able to root the device and force 44.1kHz, but IMO that's too much effort for little benefit. There are bit-perfect audio players for Android that can bypass OS resampling, but Spotify isn't one of them.

Last edited:

sev1

Forum Donor
It may just be that you don't find the quality of Spotify to be good enough for you. Tidal hi-fi streams at a higher quality. In order to leverage that in UAPP you'll need to purchase an upgrade for $4.99 I think but to me it was worth it. To GVL's point though, UAPP doesn't access Spotify nor Amazon Music due to both of those services not allowing open access.

OP
G

GentleEars

Coronavirus lockdown gave me time to review my Raspbian/raspotify configuration. I was able to send Spotify stream to my TOPPING D7x Pro DAC without upscaling Spotify's 44.1kHz content to 48kHz. All I had to do was to write the following to /etc/asound.conf:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm hw
}

This stopped the use of dmixer, and stopped unnecessary upscaling. Yay!

xtiva200

I came across an I2S interfaced streamer called RASPDIGI V2 Streamer I2S (linked) at Audiophonics.fr, while searching for an optimal way to stream music to my TOPPING DX7 Pro. It is a combination of Raspberry Pi 3 B+, Allo Kali reclocker, and a I2S to HDMI transport of unidentified manufacture. Is there anyone here who has tried this?

I am aware the pin-layout of HDMI cable for I2S usage varies from one implementation to another. The info says, "To ensure the compatibility of your DAC, we strongly recommend that you check its pinout and clock frequency in th table, HDMI tab I2S Format."

Another I2S option I'm aware of is Ian Canada's FifoPi and either the TransportPi or HDMIpiTransmitter. I like the that there is more transparency and information on the solutions by Ian Canada, but I like the fact RASPDIGI comes in a case.

Are there other advantages/disadvantages to either of these solutions?

Just got this to use with my Holo Spring2 DAC
Basically i2s HDMI connection worked, ie balance was correct without issue, though wasn't able to play any DSD file natively or play higher than 192k.

To get some support from Audiophonics or to get some manual contacted them but all they did was to give a refund. Which I guess Ok but really wanted to get streamer working....

I2S HDMI transport board is the below link;
https://www.audiophonics.fr/11556-t...s9023-v21-i2s-vers-analogique-24bit192khz.jpg

This board did not have the jumper switch.

Hope that helps

Will need to look for another budget streamer with I2S HDMI solution for me

Top Bottom