• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry pie solution for bbc sounds?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Hi

do any of the pre packaged raspbeey pi streaming packages integrate well with bbc sounds? (all of the live streams, catch up and podcasts?)

thanks

TheWalkman

If, by, “sounds“, you mean channels, Volumio allows you to stream all (6?) BBC channels and you can save any or all of them to, “favorites”. You can also cast to the device from Tunein, etc. for other content or from your smart speaker. It works great for me.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
BBC sounds is a delivery service which offers all BBC audio content, not only the live channels, but also catch up radio and podcasts. There is a website to access it, also a phone app.

I would guess some sort of plug-in is required on a streamer, or a way of accessing the Pi web browser.

Last edited:

Riffi

I'm using picorePlayer with LMS (LogitechMediaServer) and BBC Sounds - Complete BBC Sounds implementation as an LMS Plugin.

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
That sounds interesting....

Is that built into PiCore - or does it need to be setup/installed? If the latter is there a webpage or instructions?

OP
antcollinet

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Some weekend reading. Thanks. :)

Riffi

No reading, it's easy. Get the image, put it on a microSD, start your pi, in pCp install LMS, get the plugin and voila: BBC Sounds

JWAmerica

Why doesn't it supply AAC or PCM audio? Does this service use some kind of unusual codec?

Pep2020

Agree with previous comment. This is really easy using picoreplayer and an LMS plugin. Streams at 320kbps. Sounds great through my Topping E30 DAC.

Riffi

Why doesn't it supply AAC or PCM audio? Does this service use some kind of unusual codec?
Is it LMS, BBC Plugin or your terminal soundplayer which makes problems with AAC or PCM. I will quote from the plugins wiki:
The plugin provides the highest bitrate audio that the BBC makes available in your region (usually 320kbps in the UK, 96kbps outside the UK) in AAC format. Most BBC content is in a 48000 sample rate. If your squeezebox player cannot support this format, your LMS server should automatically transcode it (into FLAC format by default). If it is not working for you, update your server to the latest version of LMS. In particular versions below 7.9.3 of LMS are known to be problematic.

If your player is having problem with the (slightly) unusual sample rate of 48000, try selecting the "hide sample rate from LMS" in the BBC Sounds preference settings, this can help with the transcoding of specific players.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds interesting....

Is that built into PiCore - or does it need to be setup/installed? If the latter is there a webpage or instructions?
Might have missed it, but what device are you using to control it e.g phone, pc etc? I use bbc sounds over airplay to moode, it all works well.

Riffi

Might have missed it, but what device are you using to control it e.g phone, pc etc? I use bbc sounds over airplay to moode, it all works well.
I'm using the material skin from Logitechs Mediaservers browserfrontend

Attachments

• Screenshot at Oct 25 13-39-17.png
    Screenshot at Oct 25 13-39-17.png
    129.6 KB · Views: 114

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can also heartily recommend the LMS forum https://forums.slimdevices.com/forumdisplay.php?27-Logitech-Media-Server
It's very helpful, and the people who write the various plugins generally respond quickly to queries and 'how do I' type questions.

I think the LMS community is what keeps LMS still at the forefront of streaming, unlike the major manufacturers that don't develop enough plug-ins for less popular applications in world-wide terms, or who stop supporting their products once they've moved on to the Next Big Thing.

S.

Top Bottom