• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi Zero Airplay streamer w/ PEQ?

Firefly00

I’m thinking about using a Raspberry Pi Zero as an Airplay endpoint and building in a PEQ. Has anyone done this before?

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Haven't tried PEQ, but you'll likely want the new Pi Zero 2W, which is much faster than the original, with quad-core processor. Apparently CamillaDSP will run fine on the old Pi 2 and Pi 3. The Zero 2W has roughly the same processing power as a Pi 3. It is still limited to 512K of RAM, which may or may not be a limiting factor for this use case.

Note that you will be limited to AirPlay 1 using open source software, as well.

JoeBrooklyn

Yes. I have Moode running on a Zero 2W with PEQ. Works fine on its own and as an endpoint into a Schitt modius/magnius stack.
I also am also running Volumio 3 RC on another Zero 2W with the DSP plugin and PEQ into an old Audioengine D1. Works equally well, although the because the volumio is a release candidate, it's still a little buggy.

OP
Firefly00

Firefly00

Haven't tried PEQ, but you'll likely want the new Pi Zero 2W, which is much faster than the original, with quad-core processor. Apparently CamillaDSP will run fine on the old Pi 2 and Pi 3. The Zero 2W has roughly the same processing power as a Pi 3. It is still limited to 512K of RAM, which may or may not be a limiting factor for this use case.

Note that you will be limited to AirPlay 1 using open source software, as well.
Good to know about Camilla DSP!
Not too worried about Airplay 1. Still 16/44.1kHz. Are there any other major limitations apart from a lack of multiroom support?

MCH

Major Contributor
I can only confirm that moode's camilladsp does NOT work on a normal pi zero w but it apparently works on the 2w

Top Bottom