• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry pi Vs wiim mini

I have both and I am trying to decide between the two. I guess I should just hook up both to my SMSL DO 100 DAC and switch between the two and then I could hear the sound signature of each. I would use the raspberry pi usb output and the optical from the Wiim mini. The app I uses is the same upnp protocol (I think it’s called) .

antcollinet

Master Contributor
If you are using digital output from each into the same (decent) dac, and the same source material then there will be no audible difference to be heard.

You should simply choose on the basis of price/features/convenience/ease of use.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I guess the Wiim is going to be the winner unless I want to get the science project vibe when I look at the system.
I'm putting a picoreplayer together with screen in this case. I'm hoping for less of a science project vibe that the Wiim - total cost will be higher though - but with a large display.

Having said that - the wiim would be a winner based on the plug/play "it just works" principle - if it weren't for the fun of putting the pi solution together. :)

1935380B.png

OP
V
I would like to know if I could get a pro Wiim unit. I have tried to find one but it seems like it is a unicorn feather.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I'm putting a picoreplayer together with screen in this case. I'm hoping for less of a science project vibe that the Wiim - total cost will be higher though - but with a large display.

Having said that - the wiim would be a winner based on the plug/play "it just works" principle - if it weren't for the fun of putting the pi solution together. :)

1935380B.png
Two questions, if you would be so kind…
Is that an official Rpi screen, or an alternative?
How did you get your hands on an Rpi?

amper42

Major Contributor
I have both and I am trying to decide between the two. I guess I should just hook up both to my SMSL DO 100 DAC and switch between the two and then I could hear the sound signature of each. I would use the raspberry pi usb output and the optical from the Wiim mini. The app I uses is the same upnp protocol (I think it’s called) .

Here's what I found comparing Wiim to RPi4 with Moode:
1. If Amazon Music is your source you will likely want to use the WiiM.
2. If your source is Qobuz with a UPnP player the RPi4 will work without issues. That's not always the case with Wiim. Each Wiim firmware update is a possibility to break my UPnP connection while RPi4/Moode doesn't have any of those issues.
3. The RPI4 supports USB connection which offers superior measurements on many DACs compared to Toslink on the Wiim.
4. RPI4 with Moode over USB sounds better to me with the RME ADI-2 and works flawlessly with UPnP and Audirvana. The Wiim firmware breaks when trying to fast forward in Audirvana to the next track. But the RPI4/Moode is steady as a rock with no problems.

If I want something that never breaks with Qobuz/Audirvana and supports USB I would not select Wiim.
If I want to use the Wiim app and it's limited navigation compared to Audirvana or if Amazon is my main music source I would go with Wiim. Some will tell you both are just as good. I think each has its own strengths.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Two questions, if you would be so kind…
Is that an official Rpi screen, or an alternative?
How did you get your hands on an Rpi?
It is the official screen and a third party case designed for the official screen and pi.

I was lucky enough to chance on a stock availability at the pi hut (uk) over the summer. I got an 8GB Pi 4 to replace my Pi3 libreelec based video player. The Pi 3 I have from before the current shortage.

It is the Pi three that I'll repurpose for a music streamer with the screen.

direwolf08

Totally agree with most of the assessments here. I used to run everything through an RPi4 with Volumio. The touchscreen with the “Now Playing” plugin provided a really nice interface and album art display. But … stability and speed (even on RPi4) was a big issue and the Spotify plugin was so bad it was unusable; it would just stop playing randomly every few tracks. This is a well known issue with the Spotify plugin on Volumio and it has gone unfixed for way too long. I switched to the Wiim Mini. It is such a simpler, speedier and more stable experience. I use a tablet with the Wiim Home app as my album art display and it works great. Only thing I miss is the USB interface with my DAC, but I don’t really notice a sound quality difference. Would love if Wiim would release a model with USB out!

VladimirJ

I've been using an RPi with an outboard EarMen USB dac, and with a HAT dac, for more than two years and I liked the sound pretty much, but the Volumio quirks, instability and sensitivity to different usage scenarios were just too much for me.

Last year I've got a WiiM Mini, just to try it out, and it was a very pleasant surprise - on it's own, it really isn't something to write home about, but with a decent outboard dac, the sound quality is comparable to the RPi's (in my opinion and in my system).

Finally, I've decided to let the RPi go and cancelled my Volumio subscription, in favour of my WiiM Mini. I don't regret the decision at all. As well, I don't regret not buying a WiiM PRO - it's practically the same thing as the Mini, just with a bit more inputs/outputs. In my opinion, the omission of a USB output on the PRO is a very big missed opportunity - with a USB, it could easily compete with the NODE, but without the USB, there's no point in buying a PRO. Just buy a Mini for 50 bucks less.

Jack Harrison

I've been using an RPi with an outboard EarMen USB dac, and with a HAT dac, for more than two years and I liked the sound pretty much, but the Volumio quirks, instability and sensitivity to different usage scenarios were just too much for me.

Last year I've got a WiiM Mini, just to try it out, and it was a very pleasant surprise - on it's own, it really isn't something to write home about, but with a decent outboard dac, the sound quality is comparable to the RPi's (in my opinion and in my system).

Finally, I've decided to let the RPi go and cancelled my Volumio subscription, in favour of my WiiM Mini. I don't regret the decision at all. As well, I don't regret not buying a WiiM PRO - it's practically the same thing as the Mini, just with a bit more inputs/outputs. In my opinion, the omission of a USB output on the PRO is a very big missed opportunity - with a USB, it could easily compete with the NODE, but without the USB, there's no point in buying a PRO. Just buy a Mini for 50 bucks less.
I’ve been using a Raspberry Pi 3b with an Allo Boss dac hat with Moode not Volumio. I tried Volumio when it was free but preferred Moode which is constantly maintained and updated, very stable and quirk free in my view and is still completely free. I bought a Wiim mini last year and I’m using both. The Rpi streams and shows my library of ripped CDs more easily than the Wiim does, and it also has a parametric equaliser and Camilladsp for room correction. Spotify connect and airplay work perfectly, but… there is no way of playing Amazon uhd which is possible with the Wiim. Also the Wiim has a functional and not entirely useless ADC and analogue in. So until I can do all these things on one little box I’m keeping them both. I wouldn’t just let an Rpi go they‘re as common as unicorns right now and you could sell it on very easily.

VladimirJ

Totally get your points!
I still didn't sell my RPi, it's tucked away neatly in a box, on the shelf :)
So, I just might give Moode a go. I tried it briefly before I subscribed to Volumio, but didn't really give it a serious spin.
I cherish WiiM's ease of use, which is important to me. Guess that's why I switched over to it.

Top Bottom