• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry pi streamer

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a Flirc case (i have an unopened one for sale if you’re in Europe) for cooling and aesthetics, but generally the default plastic case is fine for this use.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I went with the FLIRC case, purely for aesthetic reasons. It turns out it's really good at passive cooling as well :).
That's what I use too

1607103905800.png

Iglo

Forum Donor
Agreed, the Argon40 cases are also very good (as mentioned I have a NAS running in an Argon One case which is a very nice case). The case has two benefits 1. connections are on the back of the case vs back and side 2. there is an on/off button (safe shutdown). But the FLIRC case also has very good reviews.

dtaylo1066

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am running Volumio on an ASUS Tinkerboard. Works just fine for me. I do not have Roon nor do I subscribe to Tidal, so I cannot comment on that. I have all my files stored on a WD My Cloud NAS. Music philes on my iPhone will also play wirelessly via the TB/Volumio set up. I run the Tinker Board via USB into the DAC in my system.

Aldo

hi
I am currently using a node 2i only when streaming to an external DAC.
The great advantage of the node is also for me its great disadvantage: BluOS ! :rolleyes:
BluOs is very stable, very easy to use!!
So simple that I tear my hair out when I'm looking for an album of my favourites ... :mad:
A sorting by type of music would be so much easier (jazz, classical, pop, electro, ...) I take as much time to find my favourites as to search them on BluOs' Qobuz search engine ! Imagine when I don't remember the artist .... :eek:

So I'm thinking of streaming Audirvana and RPi 4.
Do you think I lose quality (SINAD) by changing streamer?
My Topping dx7 pro should be better to be connected in USB ?

Thank you for your advice ;)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
The dx7 shouldn't care whether the source is the Node 2i or the Pi, so SINAD should be unchanged. That's assuming you don't introduce a ground-related problem via the Pi and USB of course - in that case you could use a hat with optical or transformer-isolated coax digital out to get rid of the ground problem.

I can't comment on Audirvana, but the LMS forum has threads like this on good tagging schemes for different genres using the Custom Scan and Custom Browse plugins. That only covers local content though - I'm not sure how it presents Qobuz.

ctakim

Forum Donor
Built this today and it was amazingly easy! I recently got a Raspberry Pi 4+ kit and today I set it up and flashed it with Ropieee software. I attached a USB connection to my newly purchased Schiit Modi 3+ and I'm feeding it to the analog inputs on a Loxjie A30 amplifier running SoundArtist LS3/5a speakers. I've set this up as a Roon Endpoint with the core running on a MacMini set up as a Home Theater PC. The sound quality is great and I cannot tell the difference between this set up and running the MacMini USB directly to the Schiit DAC or to a Topping D10s DAC. My plans are to explore some other streaming software options, such as Volumio. I've really gotten into streaming digital audio in a big way and I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship!! If anyone else out this is thinking of trying this, don't be afraid! Go for it!

theotherme

Hi I am planning to build one of these myself. Have you experienced any issues feeding the Modi 3+ via USB from the RPi 4? I was planning on adding a HAT to the RPi to enable SPDIF output but if it is not necessary then I won't,

Also what was included in your RPs 4 "kit"?

Thanks!

Raindog123

Major Contributor
I bought the following four items on Amazon:

1) RPi 4 Board - $50 (this 1GB is sufficient for RoPieee, 2 or 4GB might be good for future projects/expansions)
2) FLIRC Case - $16
3) Cana RPi PS - $10
4) SD Card - $7.50

(I have zero issues connecting Modi 3+ to RPi 4 via a USB. And, running the Modi with the PS it came with.)

Last edited:

amper42

Major Contributor
I bought the following four items on Amazon:

1) RPi 4 Board - $50 (this 1GB is sufficient for RoPieee, 2 or 4GB might be good for future projects/expansions)
2) FLIRC Case - $16
3) Cana RPi PS - $10
4) SD Card - $7.50

(I have zero issues connecting Modi 3+ to RPi 4 via a USB. And, running the Modi with the PS it came with.)

What was the process for install (Hardware/software) once you received these items? How did you decide what OS to use? I just need the Pi to feed the USB to an RME ADI-2 FS so I can send the music from my MBP to the RME wirelessly. Do you need a wifi dongle to increase the wifi distance/strength? Here is the chain: MacBook Pro -> Audirvana -> Wifi -> RPi4 -> RME ADI-2 FS -> Purifi amp -> F328Be.

amper42

Major Contributor
Flash the SD card with the software of choice. I use Moode Audio. USB Pi4 to the same RME DAC.

Is there a step by step guide for this? I know zero about RPi4. For instance, do you flash it plugged into the computer or while it's in the RPi4 box. :p I can easily get around on the Mac but no idea how to start or interface with the RPi4 setup. Does the RPi4 need to have a monitor attached or will the computer monitor be used for setup? Thank you!

drfous

You flash the SD card from your mac.

Go to Moode. Download the latest.

http://moodeaudio.org/

Also download/install BalenaEtcher. This is the program that will flash the moode OS file you downloaded onto the SD card and make it readable by the pi.

After you flash the SD card with the MoOde OS, insert the SD card into the pi. Boot it up.

You will need to follow the moode instructions for setting up all the parameters. Easiest if the pi is connected by ethernet to your network. Once you are in, you can set up wifi.

Here's a link to the setup guide. It's little intimidating at first, but very simple once you understand the process.

https://github.com/moode-player/moode/blob/master/www/setup.txt

Raindog123

Major Contributor
What was the process for install (Hardware/software) once you received these items? How did you decide what OS to use? I just need the Pi to feed the USB to an RME ADI-2 FS so I can send the music from my MBP to the RME wirelessly. Do you need a wifi dongle to increase the wifi distance/strength? Here is the chain: MacBook Pro -> Audirvana -> Wifi -> RPi4 -> RME ADI-2 FS -> Purifi amp -> F328Be.

The HW assembly - putting the board in the enclosure with four screws and plugging in a microSD card and a PS - was trivial. I used my PC and a SD-to-microSD adaptor to copy the OS image (and then plugged the microSD into the RPi). No RPi-attached monitor is needed, only some run-rime web-interface based configuration. RoPieee page offers installation instructions.

Personally, I use a regular RoPieee SW as a Roon end-point (with an external USB DAC). The RoPieeeXL adds some other functions - including Apple Airplay and DLNA client (though I have no experience with the latter).

RPi-4’s internal WiFi is good enough, so no external dongle is generally needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom