• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry Pi or PC Linux/Windows alternative build

Nonick

I've tested a lot of stereo receivers/integrated amps (Yamaha R-n402, 602, 803, Marantz NR1200, Denon DRA800H, CA CX61, AXR100d, Advance Paris A7...) and tried to build audio system with: Wifi/BT/FM radio/USB/DLNA,uPNP and Turntable input.
All those stereo receivers had required inputs (and remote controler), but amplifier sections were horrible due to Hiss OCD. Every tested amp had a hiss on JBL tweeter (with Marantz NR1200 as a winner with lowest hiss factor:)

Due to mentioned problems, i've switched to Topping E50 + PA5 amp. Clear, powerful for JBL Stage A180, absolutely zero tweeter hiss. Now i'd like to purchase or build a Music/Stream server station that would use E50+PA5.
Wifi, BT, USB and DLNA are supported with Raspberry devices and PC. FM Radio can be added via RTL-SDR USB dongle (works on Linux and Windows).
Turntable has a line out (200 mV) so i would need a preamplifier to PA5 TRS Input 2 (from 200 mV to at least 2V).
Equalizer would be appreciated (Moode provides one).

Option 1: Rasptouch Streamer with touchscreen and Moode audio: https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/open...-touchscreen-with-volume-control-p-12249.html

Option 2: x86 Linux or Windows based PC custom build. This would also provide a CD player (bonus).
What is Moode/Volumio alternative for Ubuntu and Windows?
Plex, jRiver?

I would appreciate any recommendations for this kind of dilemma and build recommendations
(Raspberry/Moode ease of use, features, Ubuntu/Windows alternative...).
Preamplifer from Turntable line out(200mV) to PA5 TRS input recommendations?
Thank you.

Erici

Forum Donor
Another option would be to use a Windows solid state PC. They are inexpensive, small, and quiet, and of course support all windows apps. Archimago just reviewed one and integrated it into his system. He wrote a very thorough review (just as he usually does). Here is the link:
archimago.blogspot.com

MeLE Quieter2Q (8GB DDR4, 128GB eMMC, Celeron J4125) Mini PC: An inexpensive, silent, multichannel Roon Endpoint. On Paul McGowan (PS Audio): "digital audio is soooo noisy", and "computers are the worst". [+ Windows 11 Update]

A blog for audiophiles about more objective topics. Measurements of audio gear. Reasonable, realistic, no snakeoil assessment of sound, and equipment.
archimago.blogspot.com
archimago.blogspot.com

OP
N

Nonick

For MeLE Quieter2Q (and any other Windows based mini PC): what's the software alternative to Roon? Is there nothing else out there similar to Volumio/Moode or Roon?
Seems like it's time to build a decent app :)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
You can stick daphile or Volumio on most PC hardware and use them with a local display, web browser or remote app. If it's got a CD drive daphile can play or rip them - not sure about Volumio. Daphile is LogitechMediaServer based while Volumio uses MPD. Daphile includes BruteFIR as an option - its gui will give you a graphic EQ or convolution but not PEQ. Volumio has EQ plugins available but I haven't checked whether it's included in the new 3 release. You'd have to check about analog inputs - I think daphile can do it using an LMS plugin if you have a suitable input but I wouldn't swear to it, and don't know about Volumio. Daphile also works well on used thin clients - silent and often very cheap, but do some research before buying as some have quirks. Volumio probably does too, but I've not tried it, and may be too big for some of the flash drives in some thin clients.

Most of the above applies to the Pi options too, so pick according to preference, budget and local hardware availability.

OP
N

Nonick

Thank you for the information. I'll do the research on Volumio and Daphile features (new Volumio 3 seems to have new features along with EQ).

oltmb

I took an old motherboard from an INTEL NUC and put that in a fanless cabinet. Then I installed Daphile. It works very well and reliable for many years now. I installed the 64 bit realtime version of Daphile and I am very happy with it. You can control it from an iPad of iPhone using iPeng.

Top Bottom