• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raspberry pi and USB DAC help requested

Capitol C

I have a Raspberry pi 4 connected to a a USB DAC. It doesn't recognize a Dayton Audio DAC01, but it does recognize a FiiO USB DAC Q1, a combo DAC and headphone amp. Does anyone knows why the Dayton doesn't work? Also, when playing songs from the raspberry pi on VLC Media player, when choosing the audio output device, as expected, there are only 2 device options. However, when using the python module, python-vlc, to play audio, the list of audio devices is very long. Why is this list so long? Which device should I choose if I want to run an analog signal from my DAC into a stereo receiver aux input, I don't know what what the differences are. Thanks for any help!

JACK Audio Connection Kit
PulseAudio Sound Server
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Default Audio Device
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Default Audio Device
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Direct sample mixing device
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Direct sample snooping device
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Direct hardware device without any conversions
bcm2835 HDMI 1, bcm2835 HDMI 1 Hardware device with all software conversions
bcm2835 HDMI 1 USB Stream Output
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Default Audio Device
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Default Audio Device
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Direct sample mixing device
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Direct sample snooping device
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Direct hardware device without any conversions
bcm2835 Headphones, bcm2835 Headphones Hardware device with all software conversions
bcm2835 Headphones USB Stream Output
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Default Audio Device
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Default Audio Device
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Front speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 2.1 Surround output to Front and Subwoofer speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Direct sample mixing device
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Direct sample snooping device
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Direct hardware device without any conversions
FiiO USB DAC Q1, USB Audio Hardware device with all software conversions
FiiO USB DAC Q1 USB Stream Output

phofman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ad your DAC - have you checked dmesg? Maybe your RPi USB port cannot power the DAC, maybe there is a different problem. But the DAC uses the standard USB receiver SA9023 which should work out of the box in linux.

You have two playback "soundcards" in your system (see output of aplay -l). Alsa configurations (in /usr/share/alsa) make several PCM devices our of every soundcard (see output of aplay -L). Listing soundcards and PCM devices takes different calls of the alsa-lib layer. E.g. Java in linux lists only soundcards (like aplay -l), preventing use of PCM devices defined e.g. in .asoundrc. Most properly coded projects support PCM devices, not just soundcards.

OP
Capitol C

Capitol C

Thank you! I'm packing for a week at the beach right now, but will follow up on this when I get back.

Top Bottom