• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RANT Wish budget -350$ receivers had pre-outs for front speakers

PolkFan

Forum Donor
For real it drives me nuts lol that i see so many budget receivers come with pre-outs for Zone B(Which i will never use) like WTF why not allow that to be used for the front speakers instead?

Instead units are getting so expensive you basically have to spend 1000$ just to get that feature.

If any audio engineers or someone with more knowledge then me could explain why this is a thing i sure would be happy to know.

Taddpole

Not getting why you don't just use the zone B ones if you aren't going to use it for anything else.

apgood

For real it drives me nuts lol that i see so many budget receivers come with pre-outs for Zone B(Which i will never use) like WTF why not allow that to be used for the front speakers instead?

Instead units are getting so expensive you basically have to spend 1000$ just to get that feature.

If any audio engineers or someone with more knowledge then me could explain why this is a thing i sure would be happy to know.

It's purely a product differentiation thing. It's considered a more premium feature / differentmarket segment. Probably think if you have the space and a willing to pay for external amplification then you can spring extra for a higher end AVR or Pre-pro.

They need to justify the extra price of the higher end model. Especially if they measure the same.

Lastly, the lower end model probably have lower margins and every extra component cuts into the profit margins. Even if the extra cost is only a couple of dollars when you are talking about high volume products it is noticeable on the balance sheet. Especially if you are applying the same principle across multiple high volume products.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Perhaps this speaker -> line-level adapter courtesy of Genelec will help?
Speaker to XLR Genelec.jpg

Experience with preamp outputs built into receivers to date has been disappointing: There seems to be a tendency to cut corners and skip a proper line driver circuit, so the outputs may only be good for driving short cables. And more often than not, I've needed to use some sort of speaker->line conversion anyhow.

If anyone's struggling to read the resistor values, they are 1K ohm, 1/4 watt for upper resistor and 68 ohm, 1/4 for lower resistor for both of the circuits depicted.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What you still expect 70s pricing of 2ch receivers? :)

SynthesisCinema

Well there is one. Yamaha TSR-700 which is identical model to RX-V6A (599$) but the TSR model is sold only in Costco for 399$. :)

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/tsr-700/

https://www.costco.com/yamaha-tsr-700-7.1-channel-network-av-receiver.product.100686465.html

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...channel-4k-8k-dolby-av-receiver-review.17204/

TSR-700 back:

TSR700reUCRTSPV_11a819fd71d6c26fb0250caba5a813a7.jpg

deprogrammed

Marantz NR series has been providing a configurable preamp output for years.
I have an older one and it is left/right sub only. Not sure if the new ones have more though.

raindance

Major Contributor
They're separate from the sub out. Left and right. Can be set as front. Works perfectly, I have had a couple of these receivers going back quite a long while.

danzilla31

Forum Donor
One thing to note except for Denon a lot of the avrs that have them don't have the necessary voltage out to drive a lot of amps. I have a little onkyo I like I bought off of ebay for 500 and some change and it's preouts are only rated out for 1v

Some more expensive models are like that as well

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you have decent soldering skills and more time than money you could technically add pre-outs to any receiver by tapping the signal before the amp stage.

Problem is, if the AVR amps are bad enough to warrant that, the internal DAC is probably not good either.

mga2009

Perhaps this speaker -> line-level adapter courtesy of Genelec will help?
View attachment 141726
Experience with preamp outputs built into receivers to date has been disappointing: There seems to be a tendency to cut corners and skip a proper line driver circuit, so the outputs may only be good for driving short cables. And more often than not, I've needed to use some sort of speaker->line conversion anyhow.

If anyone's struggling to read the resistor values, they are 1K ohm, 1/4 watt for upper resistor and 68 ohm, 1/4 for lower resistor for both of the circuits depicted.

Would this circuit provide a better signal than standard pre-outs?

It would be great if it could be measured by someone.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would this circuit provide a better signal than standard pre-outs?
In some cases, yes: If your preamplifier outputs are inadequate, your signal level may be very low and badly distorted.

Top Bottom