• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raised subwoofer

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
One option I am considering is to put a subwoofer is behind the TV, on a 30" tall table (i.e., between the TV and the wall behind the TV). Is this going to be any better or worse than locating it in the same place, but on the floor? Just to be clear, I am asking about on the floor vs raised above the floor. There are other issues about whether this is an optimal location or whether I need more subs, but those are not what I am asking about. Note that I don't have the the table, and my current sub is pretty heavy so I can't easily do this experiment at home. Hence, I wanted to ask the experts about the theoretical advantages and disadvantages.

Propheticus

No way to tell what will happen in your specific room with your specific sub. You might miss some ground boundary effect boost, you might hit another room mode.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Play around with the room sim in REW. It's as good a guess as any.

Soundmixer

My sub in my smaller home theater is sitting on a 17" stand just behind the center channel and below the television. It measured pretty darn good there right out of the gate, but there was a loss of LF support. I countered that by adding a gentle house curve to the bottom end of the sub.

If you are going to put a sub on a stand, be sure to decouple it with something (I used anti-vibration feet for washers) from the stand itself. I learned the hard way when the first deep bass hit produced a very loud rattle coming from the wooden stand.

Top Bottom