• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rain stops play..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
image.jpeg

I noticed some farting coming from a woofer, I investigated and felt a breeze in my face then had a feel of the surround for delaminated areas.. Found this. Was listening to infected mushroom at 11oclock on the volume dial:(

Any recommendations regarding types of glue?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Are these the woofers that were just recently replaced?
Keith

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
What happened to the Elacs?

fas42

Major Contributor
So, why did you switch back to the Vivids?

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I bought ( from Amazon and not arrived yet) http://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-super-glue-gel.

It's flexible adisive, anyone think that's a bad idea?

Iv used it before, sticking vivid drivers back together but on a bass/mid on my vivid B1 and the mid range on my G3. So not on these bass drivers .

Is there a reason drivers delaminate like this ? Iv never had a issue with any other brand of speaker other than vivid but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I was listening to EDM at peaks of 94 db on my sound meter.. No obvious sign of stress sound wise came from the driver before it started farting.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought ( from Amazon and not arrived yet) http://uk.gorillaglue.com/gorilla-super-glue-gel.

It's flexible adisive, anyone think that's a bad idea?

Iv used it before, sticking vivid drivers back together but on a bass/mid on my vivid B1 and the mid range on my G3. So not on these bass drivers .

Is there a reason drivers delaminate like this ? Iv never had a issue with any other brand of speaker other than vivid but maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I was listening to EDM at peaks of 94 db on my sound meter.. No obvious sign of stress sound wise came from the driver before it started farting.

I don't think anything you have done has abused the glue joint. Just looks like too little was used to me.

I would vote against what you ordered because of this:

Gorilla Super Glue Gel is a cyanoacrylate adhesive,

Basically a gel super glue. Super glues are usually not flexible. You can look at some DIY speaker forums. Usually a more flexible glue is suggested.

https://www.michaels.com/aleenes-original-tacky-glue/M10614859.html

Aleene's Tacky glue is for foam, paper, rubber, etc. Should work for what you need. Water clean up is good too. Or one of the others I linked to previously.

People have used super glue succesfully too, but it being inflexible is a minus in this situation.

Some materials are put together with two part epoxy. DIYers report good success with this:
https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Repa...484973429&sr=8-7&keywords=speaker+repair+glue

Looking at your picture it is hard to tell. If the glue is mostly transparent as it appears, it most likely is epoxy. Rubber based would be black.

Considering the cost of the speaker, it might be worth calling the maker or the manufacturer of the woofer and asking what glue they use. They might even send you some.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
The regular Gorilla glue foams and needs moisture to cure (so you have to wet one surface). Not sure about their superglue. Make sure you wear gloves as Gorilla glue can stain your hands pretty bad.
Yea iv used their regular glue too , I was thinking a 'flexible ' adisive would work well and being a gel it should not drip ( stays where it's put) .

I used to use ( back when I worked really hard) superglue to stick the splits in my fingers back together and reinforce my nails and fingers that got worn away from various work disciplines:D

For nails superglue and toilet paper layered up and filed down works a treat, good for flamenco guitar too :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea iv used there regular glue too , I was thinking a 'flexible ' adisive would work well and being a gel it should not drip ( stays where it's put) .

I used to use ( back when I worked really hard) superglue to stick the splits in my fingers back together and reinforce my nails and fingers that got worn away from various work disciplines:D

For nails superglue and toilet paper layered up and filed down works a treat, good for flamenco guitar too :)

Some how that last part sounds potentially kinky.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Yea I contacted vivid (the response came after I started this thread and after I bought the gorilla gel 'flexible ' superglue) , they recommended a gel superglue .

I can't take the driver out, so can't brace the joint for a period of time hence my reluctance to use a slow ( er) setting glue.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Some how that last part sounds potentially kinky.
Well having your finger prints worn out and being left with bleeding stubs where they once were ... Some might pay for that and get a kick out of it. I got it for free , I'm so lucky..:D

To the male mind just about anything could be potentially kinky:D

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea I contacted vivid (the response came after I started this thread and after I bought the gorilla gel 'flexible ' superglue) , they recommended a gel superglue .

I can't take the driver out, so can't brace the joint for a period of time hence my reluctance to use a slow ( er) setting glue.

I am surprised they recommended a gel super glue, but since they did I would use what you ordered.

As for Amir mentioning the Gorilla glue original foams and cures with water, he is right. It expands enough to sometimes cause issues with precise fit. The Gorilla superglue gel doesn't however. I have used both just not on speaker cones.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am surprised they recommended a gel super glue, but since they did I would use what you ordered.

As for Amir mentioning the Gorilla glue original foams and cures with water, he is right. It expands enough to sometimes cause issues with precise fit. The Gorilla superglue gel doesn't however. I have used both just not on speaker cones.
Are those glues you mentioned 'fast acting' ? Ie can I hold it in place with my hand or are they longer setting ( curing) compounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom