• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Raidho speakers measurements and QA (excerpt from a Youtube video in Danish language)

jensgk

Forum Donor
This is a transcript. I have done my best :). I am Danish, but not an expert English speaker, so there can be some mis-translations.
The original video is at: Original video (Danish language only).

The most interesting part is the interview with Freddy, the chief of production, in the following called B. The interviewer is called A:
Interview with Freddy, chief of production at Raidho (B)

time0755.JPG

07:55 A: Where should we start, Freddy? B: I think we should start with what is in front when you come in. That is our soundroom. That is what it is all about. It is the sound. We would like to make good sound. So we need to make measurements and make sure that what is sent out is in good order. The room is a little dark place. I don't know why, it could also be very bright place.
time0814.JPG

08:14 B: We have, what you call a measurement program, and what we see here is very basic. You can make hundreds of millions af things with this, measure a lot of stuf. 08:24 B: First thing we need to do, is that the speaker we made, that is lying in here on the table. A: I actually know that one. It is the one that costs 40000(DKK) B: Yeah. A: The XT. B: X1T(?) it is called. 08:34 A: Yeah B. And it lying here on a table. And it does that because there is a microphone over there. And it is setup with 1 metre distance to the speaker. It is a measurement standard, that we have. So if others measure speakers, they use the same measurement distance etc. A: Ahh B: So that you can compare a little.
time0840.JPG

08:52 A: Why is there so much isolation in here? B: It is a room that is made to reduce, what you call reflections. When you make a measurement on a speaker, then you don't want to have reflections from the room, it disturbs the measurements. A: Yes. B: One is interested in getting the sound directly from the speaker to the microphone. A: And the more precise it gets? 09:08 B: Yes B: And when you get to know your measurement room very well, then you know that this tendency we have, because the room is as it is. That is also what we have here, because the room is not optimal. It should really be something like 60 times 60 times 60 metres. A: Yes yes yes B: Where it is hanging in the middle of the room, and it costs 60-70 million (DKK), that they only have in Aarhus(?). 09:25 B: This is whole pattern the speaker can reproduce. And it is the sound level, through the frequency spectrum here. A: And what do you want, when you see the measurement? What should a really good measurement look like? B: One always says that the ideal for a speaker is, that is can reproduce all frequencies at the same level. One has found out that a speaker that plays completely linear, simply does not sound good. So there are some things you need think about. 09:50 B: And here we can see the curve has this pattern here at the different levels. And we can actually see how many dB it is. We have out here how many dB's it is playing. And the highest level we have is down at 110Hz, where it plays at 92.5dB. 10:04 B: And down here it falls a bit, and where you hear the most is actually from this area her and up to this area here. This is important is must be rather linear.
time1010.JPG

A: And it is almost here. B: Is is almost. 10:18 B: So you can go in and with the help, of what is called the cross-over filter, which is in the speaker, you can regulate the different levels. 10:26 B: And what we have here, that is the curve we call the reference curve. A: Yeah. B: It is from a former, the first model we made, and this is hów it should sound. Then we make a curve. When we then make the other speakers, then it should be reasonable close to this. A: If you compare it a little with the dentist. They have your teeth from when you were 11 years old. Then they look at them and say what have changed. (LOGIK-DENNIS) 10:45 B: Now we will try to make a curve, and you will be able to hear a sound from the room. It starts from down here and runs up here. In a very short moment. 10:55 B: That was it. And now you can see the curve in here. A: Beautiful. B: And it actually follows the other curve nicely. And the standard says that mesurement must be within +/- 3 dB. That is +/- three lines on the curve. And that it does. I would say the mean is 1 dB.
time1057.JPG

11:18 B: And I would say that this speaker, it is good. (End of transcript)

My own conclusion: At least they measure and they have a firm believe about what they think sounds good.

Jukebox

My own conclusion: At least they measure and they have a firm believe about what they think sounds good.
You are right. They tune the speakers as they think good sound should be...much like B&W is doing, a house curve.
Is that correct? Probably not, but they are selling the speakers, so why change the trend?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These look to be broken by design, or the designer really needs a trip to the audiologist.

I've heard the little ones, I had to work out the polite way of saying that sound like crap to the dealer, who seemed to love them.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are right. They tune the speakers as they think good sound should be...much like B&W is doing, a house curve.
Is that correct? Probably not, but they are selling the speakers, so why change the trend?
I wonder how much of it is a fixed loudness curve effect.

It would also be interesting to understand how a speaker like that would sound in a highly reverberant home.

I agree. Their house curve is clearly far from neutral and they know it is far from neutral, but they have identified the right market for their sound profile. At least these are speakers that you would easily be able to ABX from a neutral one.

Top Bottom