• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Radsone ES100 vs Fiio BTR1K: measurements interpretation request

I was wondering if anyone could compare and interpret measurements of the Radsone ES100 and the Fiio BTR1K for me.
I'm trying to decide if the ES100 is worth spending double the price of the BTR1K, especially given that I have no interest in making a significant investment in balanced cables. I will be using the device I end up purchasing as both a desktop USB DAC and as a Bluetooth receiver.
Edit: Ohm Image also has measurements of the ES100, presumably with the same setup as the BTR1K was measured with.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have long had an ES100 and hope to review it one of these days. :)
With the rapid disappearance of headphone jacks from phones it would be good to know if any of the non-dongle solutions work well, I expect to hate dongles if I ever get forced to use one.

ScofieldKid

So tempting... I have quite a few sets of cans that I would love to cut-the-cord when I am out and about. Seems like a good choice between
forking over the $300 for something like this SONY WH-1000XM3, or just plugging this into your existing high-dollar cans. I'm thinking Sennheiser HD25 for example.

THW

Forum Donor
that reminds me, I also have a BTR3 so maybe some people here could also consider measuring that and comparing it with the ES100. I also see a fair number of people comparing the two so this could be useful to people who want to choose between the two.

given the trend of removing headphone jacks, doing such measurements would be a good idea imo as more people turn to these devices as solutions.

Degru

that reminds me, I also have a BTR3 so maybe some people here could also consider measuring that and comparing it with the ES100. I also see a fair number of people comparing the two so this could be useful to people who want to choose between the two.

given the trend of removing headphone jacks, doing such measurements would be a good idea imo as more people turn to these devices as solutions.
BTR3 has an annoying thing where it cuts off after 16k when using SBC or AptX codec. LDAC seems fine, though I haven't bothered to test USB mode yet. My M0 over SBC doesn't do that. Just something to be aware of. And I've also discovered AptX err kinda sucks hard compared to good SBC :p

EDIT: Looking at those ES100 graphs that looks pretty worrying there as well, cutting off even earlier. Measurements there appear to be done through AptX HD judging by the IMD+N sweep, though, so again no telling how USB mode will perform.

Degru

The EarStudio ES100 adds EQ to any setup. That’s a rare, but valuable feature. I wish all of these output devices handled that.
On a similar note, I am eagerly awaiting reviews of the recently released MiniDSP dongle. 10 band PEQ dongle that can be connected to any device seems like an invaluable piece of gear for those who EQ.

phrosty

Forum Donor
I have long had an ES100 and hope to review it one of these days. :)

I have a Fiio BTR3 if you want to do a comparison.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
I too am eagerly awaiting @amirm 's pronouncements on the es100 and BTR3.

Have both from Amazon, with 2-weeks to go on the return window.. strongly considering sending them both back w/o ASR review..

First, I have been unable to get either to function in USB mode. And bt only to use basic aptX, as my Moto g6 LDAC codec was intentionally disabled by Lenovo in Android 9..

And I'm wondering if I need bt at all...as cheap $30 Fire 7 is working perfectly 16/44.1 lossless with my D10 on Amazon Music HD. Why should I stream anything via bt? (except maybe TV where I am happy with a $17 Boltune, and forced SBC)..

Please amirm, the es100 vs. BTR3... Pretty please...

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i have a btr1k that i connect to a pixel 3 at the gym. well worth 50$ but not a penny more..

oh, and the mic on the btr1k is apparently quite bad -- no one has ever been able to understand a word i'm saying with it.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW: I have own both the Fiio BTR3 and the Radsone ES100, I think this article sums up their relative merits fairly well...

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018...uetooth-to-any-wired-headphones-for-70-bucks/

I use the ES100 every day and i'm happy to be classed along with 'audiophiles willing to put up with small inconveniences for more customization and power'.

I also own the Shanling M0 which can be used in much the same way as both devices above, but without inbuilt mic (so no voice call capability).

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Other Bluetooth DAC/Amps on the horizon...

Shanling UP2 - http://en.shanling.com/product/239 - Very similar spec and build quality to the Fiio BTR3, currently lacks any app support, so no ability to set and store EQ in the DAC (you can set EQ for the BTR3 via Fiio Music app, i'm not sure if it's stored like the ES100)

Fiio BTR5 - https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/fiio-launched-new-flagship-wireless-portable-dac-amp-btr5-hifigo - Big brother to BTR3, dual DAC and balanced output.

Shanling UP4 - https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/shanling-up4-balanced-bluetooth-dac-amplifier-hifigo - Big brother to UP2 - very similar spec to the BTR5 (although Shanling are still missing a control app).

This one is not out until early next year, but is being produced by the former CTO of Radsone and looks awesome...

Qudelix-5K Premium DAC/AMP - https://www.qudelix.com/5k-dacamp - According to the Head-Fi thread, the target price is $99 :O

CerealKiller

FWIW: I have own both the Fiio BTR3 and the Radsone ES100, I think this article sums up their relative merits fairly well...

https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2018...uetooth-to-any-wired-headphones-for-70-bucks/

I use the ES100 every day and i'm happy to be classed along with 'audiophiles willing to put up with small inconveniences for more customization and power'.

I also own the Shanling M0 which can be used in much the same way as both devices above, but without inbuilt mic (so no voice call capability).
Hi! Can you tellme your impresions on the M0 vs the btr3 ?

I own the fiio btr3 and i'm ok with it but find it unimpresive,currently its at my work desk and use it with tin T2, have tried it with porta pros and fiio fh1 and i felt its laking power. Im planning on getting the shanling M0 to replace my old Sansa clip+ for running and training.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi! Can you tellme your impresions on the M0 vs the btr3 ?

I own the fiio btr3 and i'm ok with it but find it unimpresive,currently its at my work desk and use it with tin T2, have tried it with porta pros and fiio fh1 and i felt its laking power. Im planning on getting the shanling M0 to replace my old Sansa clip+ for running and training.

Thanks!

The M0 has more output power (80mW @ 32 ohms) than either the BTR3 or ES100 (25mW @ 32 ohms for the BTR3 which I believe gets doubled for the ES100 when using both DAC/amps). Subjectively, the M0 drives my P1's the best out of the three. However, the tiny screen and lack of mic for calls mean that I don't use it that much. However, for your use case, I think you'll like it. Note that the M0 does not come with a clip. Shanling sell a plastic clip which I have and seems to work OK, they also sell and armband case which may be more appropriate for you.

Top Bottom