• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Racks... The Next Frontier

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

PaulD

Hilarious! I wish there was a <laughing hilariously> emoji I could just click on the bottom of the posts. Perhaps the reviewer has not seen this page where in a blind test the equipment on the rickety old chairs and stools sounded as good as the "hi end" snake oil http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_ppec.htm - or maybe the writer does know it...

Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
OP
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
I'm definitely a believer when it comes to a nice rack.

There used to be a company of the same name in Hawaii. Made surfboard racks. The girls showing them showcased the company name. Didn't have to say a word.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried to get into the hifi rack business about a decade ago. I even showed in a few rooms at RMAF for a couple of years. This was in the midst of the economic downturn and just couldn’t get it off the ground. I do have a nice rack and amp stands I made. I used maple butcher block and 80/20 extruded aluminum frames and a liberal application of spikes to “decouple” the shelves from the frame.

Martin

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
At least they have value as a piece of furniture, unlike the quantum crystal products and the likes thereof.

If something from Ikea is an eyesore to you, then sure.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I tried to get into the hifi rack business about a decade ago. I even showed in a few rooms at RMAF for a couple of years. This was in the midst of the economic downturn and just couldn’t get it off the ground. I do have a nice rack and amp stands I made. I used maple butcher block and 80/20 extruded aluminum frames and a liberal application of spikes to “decouple” the shelves from the frame.

Martin
Do you have a few pictures? I bet they look good.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Love this:

1571710572969.png

:facepalm:

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do those spiked legs jump off the module below and crash to the floor in moderate earthquakes?

Rack 01.jpg

OP
GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For speakers perhaps and in the old days, those overly vibration sensitive tubes, yes.

But modern solid state electronics ? :rolleyes:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You people sneer superiorly at these reviews but offer nothing to justify your position.

Have there been measurements of the effects of racks, and isolation products generally (as that is what racks claim to be)?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You people sneer superiorly at these reviews but offer nothing to justify your position.

Have there been measurements of the effects of racks, and isolation products generally (as that is what racks claim to be)?

If the electronics are that microphonic, money is better spent replacing them rather than band-aids with a fancy rack. Fortunately, 99.9% of electronics don't have that level of bad design.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

Have these rack sellers offered any measurements for starters, in their claims of superior/improved performance from the wider market of electronics products?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Pretty sure this was a joke in good taste:D

KozmoNaut

In the '70s, popular equipment makers sold rack for their components. Pioneer, Nakamichi and few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

View attachment 36679

The Pioneer rack systems in particular have become quite the collector's items here over the last decade or so. In the 70s and 80s they were popular as confirmation gifts, but I guess most of them have been disassembled and given away/sold in pieces, thrown out or left to languish in bad conditions in attics and basements.

I'd love to get one for a dedicated vintage hifi setup at some point, with a nice set of big old Pioneer or JBL speakers. It still bugs me that my parents gave away their HPM-60s in the early 2000s. They would have needed new woofer surrounds, but I would have loved to have those in my living room now. I really should have taken them and spent the time and money for a full restoration, but I was young and broke.

Maybe I'll find a nice pristine restored set and gift them to my dad once he retires, along with an Akai receiver just like the one he used to have.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have these rack sellers offered any measurements for starters, in their claims of superior/improved performance from the wider market of electronics products?

I agree I have not seen much that is convincing. And I would also agree that the onus is on them to back up any claims.

My point though is that some on here are convinced they don't do anything. How do they know this if there have been no measurements?

Top Bottom