• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RAAL-requisite SR1a Ribbon Headphone Review

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Realy a headphone for 3.5k that looks like a garage make, needs a power amp with power in the PA region. Misses bass, and gets not clear loud is not worth the smalest think about. For that money you can get a decent hifi with a decent headphone and decent speakers that even looks good.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have not published them. I keep wanting to do that but other urgent reviews get in the way.
I'll look forward to seeing the results, be interesting to compare the same phones measured on 2 different fixtures.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Crincale has also measured these, and also has the Harman target:
0EDB9C2C-4A54-4F8C-B4AD-2709B2CDF499.jpeg

Also showing sone driver mismatch, but starting higher in frequency.

_____
Interesting to see what measurement accuracy differences arise from this and the other one you tested out.

Also, as someone who always wears glasses, I would kindly like to request a measurement done with glasses worn on the dummy ears, as that can cause a good deal of bass loss, especially with closed backs.

Last edited:

crinacle

Reviewer
Crincale has also measured these, and also has the Harman target:
View attachment 85677

Also showing sone driver mismatch, but higher in frequency.

Do note that these are very dependent on positioning, so the higher frequency channel imbalance may not be "real". I had my measurements marked as "ear contact" (the optimal positioning) and "no ear contact" for those interested.

Someone asked for THD measurements and I managed to get some for the SR1A, given the quiet environment I was in (6 sample size, 3 tries per channel):

SR1a (THD).jpg

(1.2kHz blip looks to be exclusive to the left channel I measured and is repeatable, so I wouldn't call it a measurement artifact.)​

Which explains why the bass sounded so "limp" and weak despite having less roll-off on FR than, say, a HD650.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do note that these are very dependent on positioning, so the higher frequency channel imbalance may not be "real". I had my measurements marked as "ear contact" (the optimal positioning) and "no ear contact" for those interested.

Someone asked for THD measurements and I managed to get some for the SR1A, given the quiet environment I was in (6 sample size, 3 tries per channel):

View attachment 85678
(1.2kHz blip looks to be exclusive to the left channel I measured and is repeatable, so I wouldn't call it a measurement artifact.)​

Which explains why the bass sounded so "limp" and weak despite having less roll-off on FR than, say, a HD650.
Cool.

What playback level is that at?

noel_fs

20hz to 1k takes more than half the graph i think it could be tweaked a bit?

any plans to include stuff like impulse response, thd, sensitivity yada yada yada

crinacle

Reviewer
Cool.

What playback level is that at?

My system isn't volume-calibrated yet (don't see a need for it now considering that I'm only publishing FR measurements) but I did do a THD linearity test at the request of @Mad_Economist:

1601543703990.png

Green = -30dBFS ("normal listening volume"), yellow = -25dBFS, red = -20dBFS (measuring volume)

any plans to include stuff like impulse response, thd, sensitivity yada yada yada

Not too comfortable with publishing THD given the variable nature of the environments I'm measuring in, but impulse measurements would be possible in the future. My system is not calibrated for sensitivity, but electrical impedance would be possible in the future (though not a priority). Would rather focus on one thing at a time.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s the same for speakers.

It’s log scaling, which is pretty much (or is) how we hear. The difference of 30Hz & 35Hz is easily heard. The difference of 5000Hz & 5005Hz is drastically less so.
And while messing with the ratio dimensions of the graph can let you play around with being “more try to life”, the horizontal scaling is still the same.

Like for speaker reviews, the graphs I post are wider than the ones Amir posts, so non-linearities don’t look as bad, even though the scaling is the same; but which one is closer to how we hear?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Oddly enough I sold my 6.5' tall electrostatic speakers (downgraded to Magnepans) after picking these up on a whim as I realized I trusted them more for mixing ... Especially for details, than the ESLs or Magnepans or JBLs I had at the time. I do miss the giant electrostatic speakers though as they were fun to listen to and probably would get more use for general listening: but If I was going to keep one ... I kept what I trusted the most.
I think in their design they were aiming for something catering to audio professionals moreso than audiophiles which I'm happy they did. I personally don't mind the looks and it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned. Everything is easily replacable and built solid. Though if you jump around they will fall off. Its also the first of it's kind with a ribbon transducer and the user can replace the ribbon which is nice unlike other headphones if a driver goes bad you need a new set. I was always worried about rolling over the non replacable stax headphone cables with my chair! Obviously it's not for everyone but for the few who do certain types of work like listening to noise reduction plugins and dialog editing all day long or does pro audio work on the go and can't bring speakers with them: it works great.

I accept this, the reduced bass can help in some mixing situations. But sry imo this heaphones are insane(in the not good way) for the average music listener. About comfort i cant say nothing never used them but realy comfortable for long hour work they look not. But ok look is nothing.

I mean we talk about 3.5k headphones that need a PA amp. And even than they miss something??? Crazy.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
+ impedance and electrical phase graphs

I think these measurements should be included as the basic fixture, just like we do with speakers. Just my 2 cents.

YSC

Major Contributor
I was actually attracted by the ribbon design, but come on, didn't expect this bass response in this price range... I love my planars in this regard..

Veri

Master Contributor
Oddly enough I sold my 6.5' tall electrostatic speakers (downgraded to Magnepans) after picking these up on a whim as I realized I trusted them more for mixing ... Especially for details, than the ESLs or Magnepans or JBLs I had at the time. I do miss the giant electrostatic speakers though as they were fun to listen to and probably would get more use for general listening: but If I was going to keep one ... I kept what I trusted the most.
I think in their design they were aiming for something catering to audio professionals moreso than audiophiles which I'm happy they did. I personally don't mind the looks and it's the most comfortable headphone I've ever owned. Everything is easily replacable and built solid. Though if you jump around they will fall off. Its also the first of it's kind with a ribbon transducer and the user can replace the ribbon which is nice unlike other headphones if a driver goes bad you need a new set. I was always worried about rolling over the non replacable stax headphone cables with my chair! Obviously it's not for everyone but for the few who do certain types of work like listening to noise reduction plugins and dialog editing all day long or does pro audio work on the go and can't bring speakers with them: it works great.
That's an interesting perspective.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting headphones. Total price for the system shall hover around $5000. Speaking for myself here: I don’t see these replacing my HifiMan HE560, HE6 Original or ... Stax.
I can understand their use. I tend to think there are much better headphones out there at much saner prices. From the look of the FR and THD, I can advance that there are several sub $500 headphones , that are objectively and subjectively, superior to this (ugly) contraption. I have no doubt the subjectivist will be all over it, as the last headphones they will ever buy.

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
The V2 RME is still in house? I thought you didn't like RME's menu's so much, I'd have never imagined you would've gotten one yourself. As for the headphone.. Eh I don't get it. For this price I'd get the Meze and at least have something built with finishing that makes all others look like garage projects.

Since that's basically what you're money is going to at these price points anyway. RAAL should have considered a multi driver design. Once is off your ears, it feels nothing that small can produce impact on single drivers alone.

3125b

Major Contributor

index.php

Three and a half grand ... that would be bad for a 20$ headphone :facepalm:

Top Bottom