• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiz: Which DAC Is This?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Interestingly, besides the strong +/-500 Hz sidebands, there's no trace of 60 or 120 Hz. Battery power? If not, good power supply and grounding work, despite the, ummm, issues elsewhere.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Interestingly, besides the strong +/-500 Hz sidebands, there's no trace of 60 or 120 Hz. Battery power? If not, good power supply and grounding work, despite the, ummm, issues elsewhere.

But not really everywhere elsewhere - instead of rise at HF this fellow has a surprising decline. :)

I don't remember seeing that in other measurements, especially not combined with "not so stellar" performance.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Looks like digital volume control.

I'll take a guess that amir is playing this quiz game because it's an expensive DAC.

Am I hot or cold @amirm with guessing it's a >$USD3k DAC with digital volume control?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Mola-Mola best dac in the world, that plot could be any dac made by Audio Note UK they are all rubbish, they have valves though,
Isn’t it exciting Amir’s invented a new Christmas parlour game, one the whole family can play.
Keith

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's it a piece of expensive audiophile wet string?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Interesting, I see spikes at every 50hz after 100Hz prior to 1khz and spikes at every 500Hz after that ?

Very clean frequency reproduction and balance, so doubt its an entry level DAC. Low SINAD numbers considering its channel figures and waveform, unlikely its a D-S chipped one.

Its either a multibit or an R2R implementation. Albeit, a pretty expensive one.. ?

To add, think it uses a wall wart and comes in a machined case, with BNC connectors. And its neither DS, R2R nor Multibit.

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even if it's a NOS DAC with drooping HF response, surely that wouldn't explain the massive 30dB difference in noise levels between low and high frequencies?

Last edited:

hetzer

I saw measurements showing rise of the low frequency noise floor and massive distortion at Astell&Kern's DAP but they were measured at 32ohm load condition. The problem can be the fault of amp stage. Not the architecture of the dac.

gvl

Major Contributor
NOS DAC would have a drop in the fundamental in high frequency but not necessarily in noise floor and harmonics, I would think.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Looks like digital volume control.

I'll take a guess that amir is playing this quiz game because it's an expensive DAC.

Am I hot or cold @amirm with guessing it's a >$USD3k DAC with digital volume control?
Cold. :)

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could the 500Hz tone (and multiples) be a symptom of a broken clock?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm guessing this is something using Bluetooth? Kinda reminds me of the Dx3 via Bluetooth's plots.

Graph Feppar

Is it some megabucks MSB dac? Or is it some true 1bit DSD dac? I dont mean the fake DSD which is through the modern multibit sigma delta dac like AKM or Sabre,I mean when the signal is 1bit PDM all the way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom