• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiz: what is this product?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High End Audio is so replete of such nonsense, this could be anything , from a speaker to a cable to a phono cartridge , DAC or amplifier. I know now what this verbiage refers to, you could however take the same words and phrase structure and apply these to any product.

After all, we are in a hobby where 35 wpc @ 8 Ohms amplifiers and 3% THD can sell for more than $100,000 .. and a $15,000 DAC is surpassed by a $9 dongle ...

cjfrbw

If it doesn't have dilithium crystal technology, I don't want anything to do with it. Can be a little hard to hear at Warp 9, though.

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The new Ultimate Premier is extremely difficult to build considering Audio Magic is drilling into both sides of the fuse now, sometimes it takes up to 3 tries to get one good fuse - lots of labor involved.
So these companies don't even manufacture fuses, they take a legit one and then "modify" it? And they aren't even skilled enough to do that with reliability, it sometimes takes up to three tries?

Whether or not it's legal in any particular country, why would anyone think it's wise to tamper with a safety device? It would be different if it was an actual fuse manufacturer making an original fuse with such materials and subjecting them to proper tests and passing whatever regulatory controls are in effect. People could debate any possible sound differences (lol) if they wanted. But this is just tampering, and apparently poorly done at that if they even concede they can't get it right the first time every time. WTF. :facepalm:

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

In the world of audiophiles, if you can imagine something working with no prior knowledge or experience, it must be true. All the fringe audiophile products are conceived, designed, and built on this basis. Imagination rules! Reality be damned!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So these companies don't even manufacture fuses, they take a legit one and then "modify" it? And they aren't even skilled enough to do that with reliability, it sometimes takes up to three tries?
Based on my experience, no. I visited a friend to listen to his Reel to Reel tape library. He powers up his tube amp with separate power supply and to his shock and horror, the amp would not power up!

I suggested that we check the fuses (there were a number of them) with a multimeter. I was testing them and get to one that was making intermittent connection! Never seen a fuse do that. They are either good, or bad. Not in between. We replaced that "audiophile fuse" with a standard one and everything powered up and ran fine. Irony of it is that he had told me he believed in the value of these audiophile fuses.

mansr

Major Contributor
I suggested that we check the fuses (there were a number of them) with a multimeter. I was testing them and get to one that was making intermittent connection! Never seen a fuse do that. They are either good, or bad. Not in between.
A fuse must never, ever make intermittent connection. That can be dangerous.

mjwin

So I understand the widespread practice of charlatans selling poor quality or non-functional goods to gullible people with more money than sense. It's unpalatable, but seems to be a malaise of the modern world.

However, the act of modifying a primary safety device (fuse) by introducing highly flammable materials (beeswax) together with other (unspecified) materials must surely amount, at the very least, to criminal negligence. The claimed nonsense relating to some aspect of "audio performance" is a complete irrelevance in comparison to the very real danger of a malfunctioning device causing fire or explosion.

Electrical fuses should always be produced and tested in accordance with national regulatory standards; so how is it possible that products such as this can legally be sold in the developed world?

thefsb

They do seem to be able to wax eloquently about things .....
I don't think it's very eloquent but it is a bit waxy. It's like the technobabble in a SF novel that explains how a spaceship achieves faster than light travel.

Last edited:

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One of the joys of audio is that it doesn't matter how long you've been interested in the hobby there is always some new way to fleece the gullible we can laugh at (and laugh at those gullible enough to take it seriously).

thefsb

Wouldn't it be fun if Amir ran it through his mass spectrometer and found it's not beeswax but petroleum wax?

gvl

Major Contributor
A fuse must never, ever make intermittent connection. That can be dangerous.

It's a side affect of using quantum technology in these devices, you never know exactly where those electrons are.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I need to know more about I-core vs full wave I-core. Is it two directional I-cores with the opposite orientation?

And what's I-core in the first place?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I need to know more about I-core vs full wave I-core. Is it two directional I-cores with the opposite orientation?

And what's I-core in the first place?

Example:
1575859024219.png

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Top Bottom