• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Quiet Compact Mechanical Keyboards

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
https://www.modelfkeyboards.com/store/

Modern copies of the old IBM model F.

I believe the Cherry MX Blue or MX Green come closest to the model F feel though they aren't exactly the same. I've found if you like that type keyboard the lighter to press MX Brown based boards are actually more to my liking. But not everyone has the same opinion.

Last edited:

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Some helpful links from members in this thread. I read something about the silent switches when they came out, but IIRC Corsair had exclusive access to them for the first year and I did not look into them after that. The noise reduction is an added benefit, but the primary driver for me is a possible reduction in mechanical jarring or shocks. Turned out I have weak fingerbones, and I injured my fingerbones with reckless typing in the '80s. Ever since then, I get unbearable pain if I use cheap keyboards and mice for a few hours. I found that the steady action of mechanical switches gives me the least likelihood of pain/inflammation. I am using a couple of keyboards with Cherry MX Browns and one with Reds, along with mice with "silent" left and right click buttons. It is helpful if I can keep from bottoming out key presses, which is a little easier with the Browns I think. I bought O-rings in the past, but wound up not installing them out of concern that the uniformity of key action across the keyboard might be lost. This thread is encouraging me to look into the silent key options.

TungstenC

I've ordered one of the tester sets so that might provide a useful insight.
A Kailh box switch with the click bar would be more similar in feel to the buckling springs than Cherry with click jackets(the bump is much sharper compared to BS, while the Kailh is quite progressive)

I suspect the pink to be quite close to buckling spring from the force curve: thicker click bar than box white and pale blue(slightly higher in tactility), with the spring weight between the two. Sadly, while having the switches above I don't own a buckling spring to compare to at the moment. :(

Besides Cherry selections there are many switches coming out on the market right now, some even have fruity names(blueberry, sherbet, kiwi...and cream even), definitely plenty of flavours to pick from.

IBM model F AT
1605510847390.png

Kailh Box White
1605510867611.png

Kailh Box Pale Blue
1605510890957.png

Cherry MX Blue
1605511035006.png

Cherry MX Green
1605511007752.png
*Graphs are from Haata(Jacob Alexander)

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtgDnCt
*The box option not the kailh option( should include box pink, white, and pale blue)
1605511695479.png

Last edited:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Linus's crew did a semi-blind? (they tested dozens of keyboards, with same keycaps, but different switches) mechanical keyboard test:

Most Popular by types:
Linear? C3 Tangerine Rev2 =>won by a large margin
Clicky? NovelKeys Sherbet
Tactile? Cherry MX Brown =>won by a large margin

The one that's most interesting to me is the C3 Tangerine Rev2 switch, since it beat the other linear switches (including the popular Cherry MX red) by a large margin.
The only problem is the keyboard vendor I'm on the lookout for, Ducky, doesnt have replaceable switches...so once you buy the keyboard with the chosen switches, you're stuck with it.

Of course, the solution would be to get the fully swappable switch keyboard, like the Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard (GMMK) (keyboard without the switches).
Anyone have experience with GMMK or other fully-customizable mechanical keyboard?

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have this keyboard, and I'm very satisfied with it. The Corsair K63. Linear, silent, mechanical keys. Adjustable blue backlight. Wireless. Light. Good battery life. Has a wristrest. Is smaller than most keyboards. Fits your budget.

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Wire...=1&keywords=corsair+k63&qid=1605490804&sr=8-2

I nearly bought the red wired version on Friday as it was down to £57 on Amazon UK. However, both wired and wireless versions of the K63 have MX Reds, rather than the MX Silent Red keyswitches, so I carried on looking. I do like the layout of the K63 and the dedicated media keys, i'm not so keen on the font on the key caps.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone have experience with GMMK or other fully-customizable mechanical keyboard?

I looked at Glorious and decided i'd be removing, buying and replacing key switches in a never ending quest for the perfect keyboard!

Last edited:

TungstenC

I am assuming that fully-customizable is referring to other hot-swappable keyboards.

From my experience with another how-swap the YC66. Switches are very easy to replace, just push in the mounting clips on the switch and pull out. To install, inspect if the pins on the switch are straight(not crooked), then push in the switch "gently". If it doesn't seem to go in, realign and/or inspect the pin. If one forces it, it could potentially rip the socket off the PCB at worst, or just bent the pins of the switch. (just bend it back straight)

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Durgod Taurus K320 keyboard arrived today. I like the feel and sound of the Cherry MX Silent Black key switches, but I suspect that my fingers may ache a little whilst I get used to extra force required to push them. The extra space it has released for my mouse is most welcome...

20201116_190051 (Small).jpg

I'm getting comfortable with the lack of number pad, although I was quite concerned by the absense of a Numlock key/light when I first pulled it from the box! :facepalm:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do the silent blacks feel (for typing) compared to the brown?

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do the silent blacks feel (for typing) compared to the brown?

TTTTThhheeyy''re GGRreat! :)

I've not used MX browns, but the Logitech G-Romer switches on my G413 are similar (tactile, non-clicky). I've used MX Blacks before, so I was prepared for the higher actuations force. I'm really enjoying the damped feel of the MX Silent blacks. In some ways it feels like typing on a membrane keyboard, but with a lot more travel.

The other thing i've noticed is the lack of rattle from the keys. I assume this due to the stronger springs and the dampers in the top of the switches. There is no rattle from the keys at all, even if I pickup the keyboard and shake it vigoroursly from side to side.

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
TTTTThhheeyy''re GGRreat! :)

I've not used MX browns, but the Logitech G-Romer switches on my G413 are similar (tactile, non-clicky). I've used MX Blacks before, so I was prepared for the higher actuations force. I'm really enjoying the damped feel of the MX Silent blacks. In some ways it feels like typing on a membrane keyboard, but with a lot more travel.

The other thing i've noticed is the lack of rattle from the keys. I assume this due to the stronger springs and the dampers in the top of the switches. There is no rattle from the keys at all, even if I pickup the keyboard and shake it vigoroursly from side to side.

Thanks. I really like MX blue's, but they're too loud for conference calls (unless i'm vigilant about the mute button). MX Brown's also make some noise. Maybe I'll check out an MX black keyboard.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@preload, you may want to check out the MX Silent Reds, they have an actuation force more akin to the Blues and Browns. Also, the Silent Reds appear on more keyboards, so you'll have more choice.

I only became accustomed to the MX Blacks because I got a good deal on a SteelSeries 7G (around 7 years ago). They don't appear to be very common on contemporary keyboards.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
photo_2020-11-25_11-53-33.jpg

Picked up Ducky One SF 65% (with Cherry MX Silent Red) (for 20% off on BF)

Here's my thoughts after upgrading from Logitech G513 (with Romer-G Linear switches) (full size keyboard).
1. The keys are much more stable than before. And they don't wiggle at all. That speaks to the stable design of both MX Cherry switches and the Ducky's manufacturing and quality control of this keyboard. My Logitech keyboard before was flimsy in comparison.
2. The RGB is super bright and stunning in person. The photo above doesn't do it justice. RGB even works without installing the software (bonus)!
3. The PBT keycaps are a night-day improvement over ABS keycaps. They don't attract any oil and so should look brand new after years of use. Seriously, everyone should upgrade their keyboards to PBT keycaps!
I already submitted feedback to rtings.com, so they can add keycap material to their comparison table, in order to filter out keyboards just based on that...They liked my idea and will add it soon.
4. The 65% form factor will take a bit of getting used to. But I'm glad I went with 65% since it has dedicated Arrow keys, Del, PgUp/PgDn. If I chose 60% layout, think I would have struggled too much without these keys. On the other hand, having a smaller keyboard on your desk is beneficial since there's more room for your mouse movements and I'm liking the extra space on the desk now.
5. MX Silent Reds are super quiet, so I can recommend for anyone looking for the quietest switches.
6. If I start to miss the keypad on the right, I'll purchase a USB Numeric Keypad. Probably wireless, since I can move it in/out quicker. Problem solved.
7. If I feel the need to customize any keycaps, I can just purchase a set of PBT keycaps of a special style/colour in the future. It's very customizable to your decor, wallpaper, etc.

I would rate my previous Logitech keyboard as 7/10.
I would rate my new Ducky keyboard as 10/10.
This is my end-game keyboard. :D

I also have Razer Viper (mouse) and I love it. Best mouse I've had so far.

gorb

Forum Donor
Very nice. I recently ordered my first Ducky board - Mecha SF Radiant emerald edition with MX silent reds and my first Razer mouse, a Deathadder v2. Been using Filco keyboards for the past ~10 years and mostly Logitech mice for the past ~18 years. Looking forward to getting both of them soon :D

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I recently ordered my first Ducky board - Mecha SF Radiant emerald edition with MX silent reds and my first Razer mouse, a Deathadder v2.
Great choices. :)
Nice colour combo...orange/blue looks good!
Razer Deathadder v2 also has the 'Optical Mouse Switch', like Viper...so I expect excellent reliability and performance.

Deathadder v2 is more for large-sized hands and weights 80g, while my mouse is for medium-sized hands, and weights 70g.

If anyone wants a new mouse, but is unsure of which mouse fits their hand size, checkout RocketJumpNinja.com.
Look at 'Size' column, which indicates which hand size that mouse will fit.
While he plays competitive FPS games, I find his reviews to be the most informative on YouTube, and he's reviewed hundreds of mice by now.
I actually bought Razer Viper Mini first, thinking that it's going to work for my hand, and I ended up returning it immediately, simply because it was uncomfortable to use. Razer Viper is much more comfortable to use. I guess if you're a teenager or a female with smaller hands, get a 'Small' mouse. Otherwise, adults should look at 'Medium' mice and higher.

Χ Ξ Σ

Forum Donor
Can you guys recommend some good typewriting keyboard options that I can buy for my wife during Black Friday and Cyber Monday? I don't have a budget because I know as little about keyboards as my wife knows about my speakers. All suggestions are appreciated!

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. The keys are much more stable than before.

It's the same with my Durgod keyboard. I feel that my limited touch typing ability is already improving because my fingers are more certain about each keys location. When combined with the fact that I can now position my keyboard more centrally, yet still reach the mouse, it's a win-win :)

Top Bottom